Internet Connection Sharing

TheBlueRaja

BR to Some
I've got a bit of a complex problem which i hope someone can help me with. I have a work PC which runs Windoze 2000, however to access the Work network from home this runs some encryption software to encrypt the packets before it gets sent to my companies firewall.

I also have another PC which i want to connect to the work network, (its actually not a PC but an IP telephone), the idea being to allow users to work from home and have a telephone connected to the companies PBX on their desk.

Therefor in order to get this to work i need to encrypt the IP Telephones packets as well, so the IP Packets from the phone must pass through this PC to be encrypted. Therefore, i need to use a second NIC and not a switch or a router.

The windows 2000 PC can see the Internet or the comany network no problem, via NIC1 - good start. I enabled Internet connection Sharing on NIC1 which in turn assignes the second network card i installed (NIC2) a static IP address of 192.168.0.1 by default. The first NIC which is connected to the Internet gets its IP from DHCP by the way. The idea being to allow the packets to pass through NIC2 and into the PC where the packets will be encrypted and passed out through NIC1.

However when i connect any devices to the LAN on NIC2, and assign it an ip address of 192.168.0.5 for example (Class C Subnet mask) i cannot ping NIC2 and i also cannot ping the new device from the "gateway" computer containing the two NIC's.

So am i doing this the right way? ANd if so why the hell cant i ping anything on the Second NIC?

Please help....

One idea would be to assign the IP to the client (the phone?) using DHCP. That usually makes it easier (provided that the phone supports DHCP).

Also, is the entire connection on NIC1 encrypted through VPN (I guess that's what it is)? Or is it a regular Internet connection with an encrypted tunnel or something? This could cause problems further on.

The phone does support DHCP and the idea is for the phone to get DHCP (as it should) from the network via the NIC1 card.

To answer your other question the NIC1 is a regular (albeit broadband) internet connection which is encrypted through a VPN tunnel. There is software on the PC which handles the encryption.

How could this cause problems though Zedirc?

You can't connect to a VPN from behind NAT unless the router supports PPTP or IPsec passthrough (ICS does not). If you need to connect to a VPN you can only do so from the host computer

JJB6486

Originally posted by TheBlueRaja
To answer your other question the NIC1 is a regular (albeit broadband) internet connection which is encrypted through a VPN tunnel. There is software on the PC which handles the encryption.

How could this cause problems though Zedirc?
The idea was that the phone could have problems knowing that it should use the VPN tunnel and not the "regular" outward connection. But I could be wrong. Try getting a router software that can handle PPTP or IPsec passthrough, I think there are some.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back