internet connection sharing vs. 3rd party solution...?

U

UberGrits

Just thought I'd ask around to see what different people prefer when it comes to home networking and sharing a single internet connection. I have yet to find a solution that has given me the flexibility, ease of use, and straightforward kind of implementation that I'd hoped for.

Currently, I'm using winproxy (not the well-known one from Ostis, but, rather, another program of the same name that can be found at www.winproxy.cz). While it works fairly well, there is still a lot left to be desired.

Anyway, my question, finally, is which solution do you all prefer? Microsoft's ICS (I have not used the XP version yet and have been rather heistant to try) or some other NAT/proxy program? I can't use an external router, unfortunately, because our DSL modem is internal and only has drivers for Windows. Any responses to this query would be greatly appreciated.

I would definatly do with ICS in that situation. It is easy to configure, and all your services will not need additional proxy configuration. And with XP's networking wizards its a breeze to set up.

JJB6486

Originally posted by JJB6486
I would definatly do with ICS in that situation. It is easy to configure, and all your services will not need additional proxy configuration. And with XP's networking wizards its a breeze to set up.

i fully concur. they even have it easy if ur networking XP and 98SE

Thanks for the responses...I went ahead and made the plunge into ICS and am extremely glad I did. It was way easier to configure (both on the server and client sides) and, so far, has been working like a dream. Good god, why didn't I try this earlier...?

Glad to see this thread. I'm about to share my connection. To add a question here. Which is best? Should I connect the two computers via a crossover cable between NICS or use a switch or router?

I say use MS ICS as well
I've tried winproxy, proxy+, wingate, but the one i'm sticking with for sure now, is MS ICS.

and xsivforce, I'd use a cross over cable if you want to just connect 2 comps. If u have a 10 base hub, with 10/100 base NICs, and u plan to use the hub, your cards will work at 10 base, but if u have the cards as 10/100 base, and u use a cross over cable, they'll work at 100 base

ICS?

Internet Connection Service???

Or?

I'm trying too share an internet connection, but it's not so succesful :mad:

How do you use ICS?

xsivforce, it depends. If you are planning on adding more PCs (ICS supports up to 256 i believe) i would get the hub right now. If you are not planning on adding more PCs or are on a tight budget the x-over cable would work fine.

JJB6486

I use one server with two ethernet cards in it. One to the outside world (10mbps Internet Connetion :) ) and the other on to another computer. I've gone trough all wizards but they don't seem to help. My internet connection uses proxy on port 8080. Is this perhaps a problem? I also use Norton Firewall, could it create a problem (I've given the other computer full acces to mine through the firewall). I'd appreciate som help!

Originally posted by Eproxus
My internet connection uses proxy on port 8080. Is this perhaps a problem?
Oh boy! Proxy on your Internet connection. Evil ISP you have there. ICS should be turned on on the outgoing interface. So far so good.

The proxy however...
What happens if you set your proxy correct in your Internet Settings? Maybe ICS can use those settings?

Originally posted by JJB6486
If you are not planning on adding more PCs or are on a tight budget the x-over cable would work fine.

JJB6486

Just what I wanted to hear. :)
Thanks JJB6486 and DeepBlade.

I've tried both with and without proxy on the second computer, nothing works... The second computer detects the ICS but I can't view any webpages with it, is it the proxy's fault?

It's probably the proxy, yes. 3rd party software could probably be set to connect through a proxy. Though I can't say I've been able to get any 3rd party routers working in XP yet.

BTW: adam.lindberg@home.se? I hope Home.se is not your ISP then. Home.se do NOT use proxy. (Jag vet, jag använder Home.se :))

No it's Telia (Both :) and :( )

:) : Very fast! Permanent IP-Adress, not so much errors n stuff.

:( : proxy thing, you have to log in every time.

Telia ADSL or Telia ComHem?

Neither if you have permanent IP...

Telia LAN it's called... the whole block connects and you get permanent IP, 10Mbit connection. Quite cheap too (300 SKR/MONTH, about $30 a month). So I actually have permanent ip (at least it hasn't changed in abut 1½ month :) )

Ok, but do you really have to use the proxy for surfing? Even after you logged in? Sounds very evil (even for Telia).

You put in proxy in LAN settings in internet explorer, and excluding login1.telia.com . there you login with you acount every time you start your computer...

HTTP Proxy: proxy1.telia.com
Port: 8080

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back