Internet Browsers Stopped Working

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi all

Was hoping someone could help. Problem is the web browsers (Firefox and IE7) have stopped working on their PC (XPSP2).
This effects both dialup and when its connected to my Lan :(
The weird thing is Avast still updates, emails download but everytime I open firefox I get "connection was reset" and that its not connected. The same thing happens in IE7. Checked it not in "offline mode" and that there are no weird setting under the network connection settings.
Basically I am just stumped :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

IJ

saeltmarae2k

OSNN Addict
First, check and make sure that something hasn't changed your proxy settings in FF and IE. Some crap program did that to one of my machines last year...

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Anyone? would like to avoid reinstalling windows if I can help it, but I am just stumped :(

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I would check your hosts file to see if something injected itself into that. Also, post a Hijackthis log please.

Hosts file can be viewed with notepad and found here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

falconguard

Carbon based lifeform
Political Access
Go to a cmd line and type "netsh winsock reset" and then reboot.

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
I would check your hosts file to see if something injected itself into that. Also, post a Hijackthis log please.

Hosts file can be viewed with notepad and found here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Checked the hosts file against the one on my working system no difference.
In the end I formatted the PC as its my parents and they were giving me grief :)
Intstalled all the same stuff again but this time it was all fine! Guess we shall never know what caused the problem. Thanks for all your suggestions though they are appreciated :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moussa021