Internet and fast user switching?

freightgod

Confused and Bewildered
Hi, all. I have a DSL internet connection.

I've set up multiple user accounts on my XP Pro machine. Everything's running fine, EXCEPT...

If I were to switch over to my wife's user account right now using fast user switching, I cannot access the internet from her account. Here, I'll try it....OK I'm back.

Now, if I log off and log in to her account, then of course I have normal internet access.

I'm guessing fast user switching is incompatable with sharing an internet connection? Or is there something I haven't set up right?

Please fill me in. Thanks.

Hey Freight:

I have cable, use fast user switch and have multiple users and we can be online at the same time. It's done all the time at my house. Don't know why you can't :confused:

I hate to keep bumping, I just can't believe nobody out there has any ideas. Apparently this should work fine, but it doesn't. What should I be looking for? Come on, guys, you're more resourceful than this!!!! Thanks in advance, I know you can help me...

If its PPPoE DSL or dialup, you can not switch users and maintain the connection. You must disconnect before swithcing users, and redial the connection under the new user's account. There is no hack or workaround

JJB6486

Thanks for the reply. It's not dialup, and I don't know what PPPoE means, I guess I'll e-mail this thread to my ISP and see...

The key must be in what logging off does to my LAN connection?

Thanks for the clue!

"Some broadband Internet service providers identify your computer on their networks using Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE). If your ISP requires you to supply a name and password to access the Internet, it most likely uses this protocol." That's according to

Microsoft, , so I guess I don't use PPPoE because I don't supply a username/password to connect.

Help Help Help!

Then there really shouldn't be a problem. Is the modem connected directly to the computer or through a router?

might b cause your using usb i mean its not really meant for broadband access not really all that fast if you know what i mean.of course this is all out of opinion not 100% sure:D

opps typo

wow , now is this usb1 or usb2 bc i always thought usb1 was only up to 400k and usb2 is like what 800k

cause my cable modem can do 1.5m with cat5

edit= and thats only bc they audit me and wont let me get no more less i pay more......

I found the reason for my problem!!! I use Sygate Personal Firewall. When I close it down before doing fast user switch, the connection works as it should.

Now what firewall should I use as there does not seem to be any setting to enable connection sharing in SPF. It's a great program, too.

Any reccomendations, besides Zone Alarm, which I'm not a big fan of?

Thanks, andre9540, your post was the tip that led me to my firewall! Which do you use?

I'm using NIS2002 and don't have any problems with fast user switching.

Thanks, J, but that costs 50 bucks!!! which i don't have at the moment...Sygate personal firewall is free. Which doesn't mean I won't give in and buy it eventually, but does anyone have any free alternatives that will allow internet access with fast user switching. Thanks all.

yah sim prob with zone alarm i still use it though...., i use it cause it is easy and tells me what is going on:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back