interesting wifi problem

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
so, I've had this gateway for about two years, still running pretty good (case made like crap, worn keyboard, broken right and left click buttons, etc)

since I got it, the wifi card has been inconsistant;

mostly it works flawlessly, HOWEVER on particular hot spots the card will just not see any signals even though every other system in the place and every other laptop I own sees all these signals

to get this one to see the signals in this spot (and these spots only), I have to go to device manager, disable the driver then re-enable...then it works just fine till the next time I come to this hot spot

interesting, I am thinking it's a router conflict for this one place that makes the card unuseable till it's restarted, any suggestions?

sounds like either iffy drivers, or hardware problem to me

ya, it's a marvel and it gives plenty of people throuble, it has the latest drivers, even the betas, no help

get a usb dongle and the system will live again, no point scrapping a working system just because you have a crap wifi card ;)

It could live on as a server or gateway, or even hardware firewall using pf sense :)

get a usb dongle and the system will live again, no point scrapping a working system just because you have a crap wifi card ;)

It could live on as a server or gateway, or even hardware firewall using pf sense :)
ya, I plan on using it as a desktop for my dad, I need to install the new keyboard gateway sent out and get him a mini mouse

the card isn't the problem, I've used it like this since I got it, it's just interesting there are only a couple of hot spots that cause the instability issue

and that's just on boot from stand bye or hybernate, and again, it's not really a big deal getting the card working on these couple of spots

I speculate there's some kind of incapatability with one of the wireless router brands

hey, is there a way to see the make of the router through a cmd command?

I would love to find out if the spots giving me the trouble use the same router

You may be able to determine the manufacturer if you can get the mac address of the AP. I know my Intel card's wifi utility (proset) can tell me the remote mac address.

Although I've set up wireless for other people a few times I don't use it myself so this may be mistaken, but it may be similar to a method I could use for wired which is:

1. In Command Prompt, enter IPConfig and pay attention to the "Default Gateway" entry for your Local Area Connection, close to the top of whatever information IPConfig spews out, for example, 192.168.0.1.

2. In your favorite browser, type in the address bar "http://192.168.0.1" (or whatever the IP was).

This attempts to enter the configuration for the router:

(the blacked out portion showed the model of my router although not the make)

When canceling that dialog out, I get an error page:

(the blacked out portion showed the website for my router manufacturer)

So with any luck, you could at least get some hints in the right direction.

Although I've set up wireless for other people a few times I don't use it myself so this may be mistaken, but it may be similar to a method I could use for wired which is:

1. In Command Prompt, enter IPConfig and pay attention to the "Default Gateway" entry for your Local Area Connection, close to the top of whatever information IPConfig spews out, for example, 192.168.0.1.

2. In your favorite browser, type in the address bar "http://192.168.0.1" (or whatever the IP was).

This attempts to enter the configuration for the router:

(the blacked out portion showed the model of my router although not the make)

When canceling that dialog out, I get an error page:

(the blacked out portion showed the website for my router manufacturer)

So with any luck, you could at least get some hints in the right direction.
finally got back to this hot spot and default gateway isn't reported at this location

What happens if you try to go to http://192.168.0.1 anyway?

Interestingly, Outlook (2010 Beta) marked the notification of your reply to this thread as a possible phishing message. Maybe because of my thumbnails or something; who knows.

If the laptop is N capable try disabling the N and setting it for G only. My new router was quirky until I disabled the N.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back