interesting cut and paste thingy

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
just woke up, started pc from hybernate and I was just commenting over at a friends blog and I wanted to quote someone

I highlighted, pasted and guess what?

a copy from abuot a week ago pasted instead of what I just copied, from a a page I have not been to in at least a few days...I don't remember if I've rebooted since then but this is really interesting to me. that the computer would comfuse a copy I made today with a copy I took a week ago

probably came from the page file somehow but ya gotta love this vista

Did you actually copy your new selection? :p
really did

let's suppose for discussion I didn't;

I know as a fact I haven't visited the page that did paste in at least a few days and I also know as a fact I have cut and copied dozens of other items since

Do you have any programs that aid in the cut and paste feature? I know for example, Microsoft office products will copy up to 24 items or something. Maybe the windows clipboard and an artificial one are getting confused with each other. Just a thought.

Wow, that's weird. Over the years I had wondered if anything like that would ever happen to me, or if it happened to anyone else, but I never actually experienced or heard that until now.

Do you have any programs that aid in the cut and paste feature? I know for example, Microsoft office products will copy up to 24 items or something. Maybe the windows clipboard and an artificial one are getting confused with each other. Just a thought.
no I have no programs that aid cut and paste though I miss a few I used in xp I think I'll track those down

I do have ms office installed and you might be on to something with that but I haven't ever launched a thing in the entire suite, it came with this laptop

Last edited:
Is it possible that the other dozen copy and pastes were of a different format? (eg: Images, or rich text instead of plain text?

I think the clipboard is "smart" enough to hold multiple types of objects within it. So when you paste, it tries to paste a matching format (not a bug - it's feature)

So suppose you copied HTML text a few weeks ago, it might remain on the clipboard (assuming no reboots) until an attempt was made to paste into a html field. Other copies and pasts of rich text/plain text or images would still work fine, but the html info on the clipboard may not become 'erased'.

Just a theory - I've never experienced this myself. Though I often remote desktop, and have had similar strange clipoard results from sharing the clipboard between the local/remote machine

Is it possible that the other dozen copy and pastes were of a different format? (eg: Images, or rich text instead of plain text?

I think the clipboard is "smart" enough to hold multiple types of objects within it. So when you paste, it tries to paste a matching format (not a bug - it's feature)

So suppose you copied HTML text a few weeks ago, it might remain on the clipboard (assuming no reboots) until an attempt was made to paste into a html field. Other copies and pasts of rich text/plain text or images would still work fine, but the html info on the clipboard may not become 'erased'.

Just a theory - I've never experienced this myself. Though I often remote desktop, and have had similar strange clipoard results from sharing the clipboard between the local/remote machine
the cut and paste was text, the copy I tried to make was text also

the cut and paste was text, the copy I tried to make was text also

Very freaky, if it were me, I probably would not even have noticed, until someone read the weird pasted item and asked me what I was talking about :)

This is really interesting .. how frequent may be this behaviour.. anyone else faced such problem .. i have such instance but it was quite different and was in XP.. my office computer didn't use to shutdown ( just locked ) and after a week may be my i couldn't copy and paste text and whatever. My clipboard was full or something it was not responding so i had to clear the clipboard then it was all OK

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back