intels L1 cache

C

cabmustang

does anyone know why intel's processors L1 cache is so small compared to amd's? intels is 8kb. and amd's is 128kb.

Originally posted by cabmustang
does anyone know why intel's processors L1 cache is so small compared to amd's? intels is 8kb. and amd's is 128kb.

it generally had more l2 cache to offset... also the marchitecture of the 2 is different... :) perhaps intel's cpu does not need vast amounts of l1 cache...

overall ondie cache difference is not that great...

It's all about balancing the amount.
Big cache => more cache hits => faster operation
Small cache => less to look through => faster lookup

Like Sazar said, it depends on the architecture what is good.

No.

L1 is closest to the core and much faster. This is also why you want to keep it small, both due to complexity and cost. The L2 cache is the secondary cache and is much bigger. It makes sure most of the cache misses from L1 get a hit in L2 instead of in main memory.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back