Intel's future looking bright.

Sazar

Rest In Peace
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/04/top_secret_intel_processor_plans_uncovered/

Interesting times ahead for Intel.

Yes, amd has the performance crown but the new processors are looking extremely appealing.

Yorkfield cores are currently undergoing signal integrity testing and just imagine an 8 core setup :cool:

The key note to take away, and something not mentioned in the THG article is the development of ultra-low power procs for various apps and that technology being migrated to the desktops.

We have seen examples of this with the Yonah core and there will likely be more info on these (potentially) sub 1w procs soon.

I can't wait to see what AMD has up its sleeve to counter some of the new developments at Intel.

I am looking forward to see exactly which of Intels proc's Apple put into their new hardware.

They will be using current tech, probably tweaked heatsinks and stuff. I am thinking they are potentially going for yonah 1 or 2 based cores given the lower power draw and the performance factor.

I am also thinking they will likely use the 65nm parts in the d'tops. Seeing as how the g5 cases are typically larger, that would tend to make sense for me.

The procs that THG talks about are either in sampling or pre-production/signal integrity stage so you will not see those procs in the apple computers.

Damn!!!!

I really thought that AMD crushed Intel like a bug............Oh well.
They just keep coming back for another boot-in-the-a$$.

Heeter

Seeing how they are investing in the future in lower TDP products, I don't know.

AMD has not made advancements to reduce their relative TDP vis-a-vis intel procs such as dothan and yonah, hence intel has managed to keep their competitive lead in the mobile market.

Further, with the development of procs capable of running massively multi-threaded apps coming out from both companies, building a blade or rack based server setup in the minimum of space boils down, once again, to TDP.

Seeing how intel is investing in lower relative thermal output in a BIG way and seeing how they have some procs on the drawing board which output less than 1W of heat, thats pretty impressive don't you think?

AMD has some great stuff NOW and I want to see what they will have in the near future, but this is clearly a broadside salvo from intel announcing they will not take this lying down.

Well, that's how competition works. The good news is that if Intel eclipses AMD in the future, it will give AMD added incentive try and work its way back to the top. Nvidia and ATI have a similar dynamic.

Melon

Sazar said:
Seeing how they are investing in the future in lower TDP products, I don't know.

AMD has not made advancements to reduce their relative TDP vis-a-vis intel procs such as dothan and yonah, hence intel has managed to keep their competitive lead in the mobile market.

Further, with the development of procs capable of running massively multi-threaded apps coming out from both companies, building a blade or rack based server setup in the minimum of space boils down, once again, to TDP.

Seeing how intel is investing in lower relative thermal output in a BIG way and seeing how they have some procs on the drawing board which output less than 1W of heat, thats pretty impressive don't you think?

AMD has some great stuff NOW and I want to see what they will have in the near future, but this is clearly a broadside salvo from intel announcing they will not take this lying down.

Your right, makes perfect sense.

Heeter

Heeter said:
Damn!!!!

I really thought that AMD crushed Intel like a bug............Oh well.
They just keep coming back for another boot-in-the-a$$.

Heeter

Oh please. 20% market share isnt crushing anything like a bug. AMD may be better for the gamers DIYers but when it comes to the mass market, Intel simply has more manufacturing capacity and the business deals to sell their chips.

AMD has had some good months, they actually outsold intel in the OEM prebuilt retail market back in october (i think it was oct).

AMD is pushing for 30% this year. Considering they have had 2 years with an overwhelmingly better product and Intel STILL has a massive lead, I consider that evidence that AMD needs to do a better job.

With apple now adding to Intel's coffer's, thats going to continue to be a tough situation for AMD.

I'm an AMD fan when it comes to desktops, but I'm looking forward to Intel "Merom" CPUs for laptops for the end of 2006. I've wanted a laptop for a while now (portability would be increasingly handy for me), but reading about it makes me want to wait.

Melon

yeah....... it'll be interesting to see what Intel pulls out of their arse this time around. AMD introduces the Athlon 64 with true 64-bit capabilities..... Intel releases a new revision of the P4 with EMT64 (if i got that right) with emulated 64-bit capabilities. then Intel releases the Pentium D Dual Core processors.... still i believe EMT64 emulated 64-bit.... while AMD releases it's Athlon 64 X2's.... dual core with true 64 bit. is it just me.... or does it seem like no matter what intel does...... SOMETHING from AMD just seems to stamp on it with oh say...... a Boeing 747? Think the two things that killed Intel for quite some time were a) their focus on Hyperthreading, and b) their focus on getting higher clock speeds on lower bus speeds.

i don't really see much of a point though with a ....... what would it be.... Octuple-core CPU? seriously.... wtf could you possibly do with 8 cores that you couldn't do with 2 or 3? run more applications using less resources? just doesn't make sense to me. i liked Intel's Hyperthreading.... 2 logical CPU's..... was quite the interesting bump..... but just not worth it in the long run.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back