Intel webcam install not going good

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I have tried over and over again to install my friends Intel Webcam onto his machine. And everytime, it asks for the original XP CD during the install, I drop his XPPro CD into the optical and it cannot find the "USB2CAM.sys" or something like that. I went home and got my two other machine's XP CD's, went back to his place, and tried searching for that file (and tried the install again) to no avail.

I email contacted Intel, and they keep sending back bogus support links to stuff I don't need.

I tried googling for this file, again, not getting the response I need.

It has been three weeks since his fresh XP reinstall and I cannot get the Webcam to work. It was working on his previous XP installation.

I am officially at a loss, would anyone have any ideas?

Model: CS331
Intel® Home PC Camera

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Can you try installing the Camera with his CD on another workstation? Perhaps the CD is damaged thus not able to install files necessary?

EDIT: Could also be something related to his chipset drivers. Take the camera and his media and try to install it somewhere else, this way you know your software and the camera are working fine first :)

Last edited:
Need make and model of the webcam (the real manufacturer would help too since intel only makes chips they are just re-branding someone else's product).

http://indigo.intel.com/iypcamera/webapps/control/cc-start.aspx

Most likely the file it wants is on the original install CD which I assume he lost or never got because the PC came with the camera pre-installed (same old story). The install is just grasping at straws asking for the Windows CD.

Did this rig come with a repair CD?

Has the OS been changed from the OEM one to a boxed version?

Well I tried the latest downloaded exe from Intel to the same effect.

I will try another machine and see if it installs.

Leejend, the camera make/model is on original post, and the machine is a selfbuilt machine with a boxed XP Pro CD. He has original Intel WEbcam CD and the webcam was an aftermarket purchase.

Heeter

Try another rig - let us know how that works out :)

Most of the older and some newer Intel Webcams I know are not supported in XP (drivers not certified). You have to force the drivers to install but they do work and work well.

I have an “oldish” Intel Webcam with drivers that will install in XP if you email me I will provide driver as attachment but can’t remember size so if you have limitations on your email account then please let me know. I don’t think it’s very large though.

:) :)

Heeter I think the file your looking for is "usbcamd2.sys" this file is for webcams.

The file is only in two locations in the system so if it's not showing in the fresh install then you can pull it from the Windows CD and copy it to the locations below. Maybe this will help get the webcam installed?

C:\windows\system32\drivers
C:\windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab

That is the file and it is not there, in both folders. I tried copying them for the install CD to no avail.

I don't know why, but this certain machine will not work with this webcam. I tried the other machines in my clients house, and it's pretty much plug and play.

Where can I download this file? Does anyone have it?

Thanks,

Heeter

What I do is copy the file from a working system to a floppy, then enter safemode on the nonworking system insert the floppy and copy and paste from there.

For me this way works every time.

Hi Guys,

I have tried over and over again to install my friends Intel Webcam onto his machine. And everytime, it asks for the original XP CD during the install, I drop his XPPro CD into the optical and it cannot find the "USB2CAM.sys" or something like that. I went home and got my two other machine's XP CD's, went back to his place, and tried searching for that file (and tried the install again) to no avail.

I email contacted Intel, and they keep sending back bogus support links to stuff I don't need.

I tried googling for this file, again, not getting the response I need.

It has been three weeks since his fresh XP reinstall and I cannot get the Webcam to work. It was working on his previous XP installation.

I am officially at a loss, would anyone have any ideas?

Model: CS331
Intel® Home PC Camera

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Windows Xp can be really annoying sometimes when installing device unsigned drivers. Have you tried looking fro updated driver for the webcam?

check this out: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=r...MjqOaSSsALn3ImACg&sig2=In1SOm5lVcHdiIYwDrgOmA

Hi guys,

I realized that I never posted what I did for a fix, Sorry all.

I did what KC and Bush dogg said. Just pulled the files from a good working machine and dropped them into the non working machine, and WHAMMO!!!!!, it worked.

Thanks to all helped.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back