News Intel to Buy McAfee

The world's biggest computer chip manufacturer, Intel, has announced that it will be acquiring anti-virus and security technology firm McAfee for $7.68 billion (£5 bn).

With security becoming a higher and higher priority for manufacturers and consumers, particularly with the explosive growth of smartphones, GPS and other hi-tech devices in the last few years, Intel clearly sees the security industry as a place of growth.

Dave DeWalt, McAfee's president and CEO, underlining the importance of modern security software, said the following:

"The cyber threat landscape has changed dramatically over the past few years with millions of new threats appearing every month."

The deal still needs to be approved by the necessary shareholders and regulators but has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors for each company.

I tried McAfee a couple of times. It wasn't bad till they put all the bulk and crap in it. It started to become worse than Norton ...

Yeah - the clever thing to do would be to release it for free without the crap and then trick foolish people into buying the full software suite - much like AVG do.

Personally, I have despised McAfee for years now but I would definitely consider using it if they cut all the crap out and released it for free.

McAfee is used primarily in corporate environments in my experience. It does not get a lot of face time to the public, but is still very much a mainstream AV solution.

There is no denying that, Aprox. But, I agree with what Ray said. I think that if they would take the bulk out and do like AVG or Avast!, it would do better in the main stream market.

We use the corporate version of McAfee here at my work (think the people who just bought McAfee..) and it's actually pretty light weight. It has a streamline UI with no extra graphics, just standard windows UI style, etc and it's only using 28MB of system memory atm. Not bad?

We use the corporate version of McAfee here at my work (think the people who just bought McAfee..) and it's actually pretty light weight. It has a streamline UI with no extra graphics, just standard windows UI style, etc and it's only using 28MB of system memory atm. Not bad?

That isn't bad. They should change it around a little bit, and make a version like it for regular users.

You really only hear about McAfee anymore when they have a botched update that deletes systems files and blue screens all the Corporate Windows boxes. :) Not sure anyone outside of business runs McAfee due to clunk and sad detection rate.

You really only hear about McAfee anymore when they have a botched update that deletes systems files and blue screens all the Corporate Windows boxes. :) Not sure anyone outside of business runs McAfee due to clunk and sad detection rate.

I remember that day as if it was yesterday... I came into the office and the first thing I noticed was that there was a line leading up to the IT department about a mile long... I get to my cube and sure enough all of my systems and coworkers system all hosed. I spent all day figuring out a fix.. (or systems use drive encryption so you can just swap them to another system)

Later in the day I was walking across campus with a USB key with the files & script needed to fix the problem when I once again see the line at the IT desk. For a moment I thought I could help those poor guys out and help a few people in the line... but then I realized that if I did that I'd probably get overrun and be there all day... haha... so guilt ridden I walked away with the *key* to salvation. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back