Intel STL2 2u Server

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
I have aquired the above system, with two Pentium 3 Processors each running at 1.0GHz, 512MB of ECC RAM and two 18.2GB 10k SCSI drives.

I am wondering if anyone can advise of a stable release of a linux distribution and/or BSD distribution that will run on this hardware which will take advantage of the dual-processors and all the other Intel Hardware.

My initial thought is to run FreeBSD 6.2 on the system, which will be running F@H, serving http, ftp and ssh accounts. As well as an eggdrop botnet. Can anyone see any problems with the idea of this? Perhaps any personal accounts of the above hardware?

This is being used to replace my current Pentium 3 800MHz, with 128MB Ram and a 20GB IDE drive.

Cheers

Last edited:
I don't see any problems with FreeBSD 6.2. It has eggdrop in the ports tree and of course ftp http and ssh. F@H is a linux binary but should work fine. I always find FreeBSD to be the best server OS.

FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE will run perfectly and do what you want to do.

Just a further question regarding F@H - Will I need to install the Linux Binary Compatibility packages from sysinstall in order for this to run then I suppose?

I'd love to run F@H on a couple of the servers I've got kicking around, but I abhor linux-compat

I don't understand why Geffy dislikes it, I can't come up with any reasons to dislike it. It is not as up to date as it should probably be, and is missing some components that Linux has, so newer programs written for 2.6 and compiled against it, may be using syscall's that don't exist in the Linux compat layer.

Hmm, a reason he may dislike it, and why it is not installed on any of my servers is it allows crackers to then download a Linux binary to a FreeBSD machine and use it, making it harder to lock the machine down by removing access to gcc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back