Intel P4 Processor

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Hi guys ..

Need some advise here please. I am building a new system for myself, and the purpose is basically for home / game uses.

However, I can't decide over the following processors:-

INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0E / 1M Cache / 800FSB
INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0 / 1MB Cache / SKT 775

They come in same pricing, and of course I know that Skt 775 is the new processor, but I have also heard of heat problems with it? Please advise if you have any comment???

Thanks.

Oh yeah .. I also forgot .. for the graphic card .. what would be the selection?

Would you opt for ATi or NVidia now?

Where's the AMD config???? :eek:
AMD is much better than the P4.

ming said:
Where's the AMD config???? :eek:
AMD is much better than the P4.

Agreed, plan ahead for longhorn(I think its 64bit) And I would go with the 6800 GT( BFG TECH), you can just OC to Ultra speeds easily. If you go with an AMD 64 check out the 3500+ and the 3800+

If you are going with the P4 3.0E or 3.0 775, then you should just go for the 775. It's not that much more expensive, and in some cases cheaper I believe. It MIGHT already be able to do 64bit with a bios update, although, it's not intended for it. Socket 775 is newer and has it's advantages apparently.

But I strongly prefer AMD. For the same price, you can get a much more powerful AMD64 processor.

ShepsCrook said:
It MIGHT already be able to do 64bit with a bios update, although, it's not intended for it. Socket 775 is newer and has it's advantages apparently.But I strongly prefer AMD. For the same price, you can get a much more powerful AMD64 processor.

Doesn't really matter whether or not Intel has enabled 64-bit on the 775.
What I tend to look at is its processing power compared to an AMD.

I've mentioned this so many times now and I'll say it in reverse this time.
An Intel 3.6GHz performs to the equivalent of an AMD Athlon 3500+ (2.2GHz) (approx). AND it probably costs more than the AMD CPU.

Choose the 775 over the 478, no argument. They are both Prescott cores afaik, but the 775 offers better motherboard features.

So guys .. if thats the case what speed is this processor actually running on??

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ 800FSB (SKT 939)

Can I use this as direct comparison to INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0E / 1M Cache / 800FSB & INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0 / 1MB Cache / SKT 775??

dreamworks said:
So guys .. if thats the case what speed is this processor actually running on??

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ 800FSB (SKT 939)

Can I use this as direct comparison to INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0E / 1M Cache / 800FSB & INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0 / 1MB Cache / SKT 775??

Here's a link to AMD's model number comparison.
http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10248,00.html

The 3200+ run at 2.0GHz, but has two versions... one with 512k cache, the other with 1mb cache.
3000+ is comparable with Intel P4 3.0GHz, 3200+ is comparable to 3.2GHz.

Cool .. so what about mainboards if I am opting for AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ 800FSB (SKT 939) processor?

I read that not many vendors have actually come out with a formidable solution for the Skt 939 processor??

If you're only into gaming and general applications then AMD would perform much better than Intel. However, if you're thinking of doing video editing/encoding or 3D designing, then Intel's deep pipelines will perform better than AMD.

Found a couple of boards in MSI's solutions, but there are 3 different chipsets, namely ATi, VIA and NVidia.

So .. which is which now?? Hehehehe ...

Motherboards? there are many... ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte. Just depends on what chipset you want from it.

Most people prefer nVidia's nForce based boards... for s939 that'll be nForce3 or nForce 4 which came out last month. In a recent thread, Moonwraith and some others have suggested the MSI Neo2 Platinum (nf3 board). I've noticed the Neo4 (nf4 ultra) and Gigabyte K8NXP-9.

Check them out.

ming said:
Doesn't really matter whether or not Intel has enabled 64-bit on the 775.
What I tend to look at is its processing power compared to an AMD.

I've mentioned this so many times now and I'll say it in reverse this time.
An Intel 3.6GHz performs to the equivalent of an AMD Athlon 3500+ (2.2GHz) (approx). AND it probably costs more than the AMD CPU.

Like I suggested in the end. I said he should go with an AMD. So I don't know why you made this statement. Plus, I was just commenting that the Intel might have the possibility to be 64bit. As it does matter, since he was inquiring about P4's. I was giving him the most accurate information stated in the thread.

Yes, an AMD processor running at 2.2ghz is running about the same as a 3.4ghz P4. That's a well known fact and is basically old news by now. The only thing the Intel really performs better on between those two is encoding.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back