Intel or AMD?

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
In your opinion, which one is better and why?

Melon

Uh oh...I didn't realize this was already a touchy topic.

If there is an existing topic on this, please link it here, and I give full permission to close this little thread of mine afterwards.

:p

Melon

Up until recently the favoured choice was AMD for price & performance

Now its intel with the new P4 3.06 with hyper threading enabled is without a doubt the finest chip on the market

yes intel is very expensive but if you compare chips of a similar processing speed the intel P4 is acually cheaper

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.00 GHz) "Thoroughbred" Core £147.16
Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.0GHz (400FSB) 512k Cache (Northwood) £134.18

check here for P4's 3.06 spec

smokin[1].gif

Posted by TwoZigzagColt45
Up until recently the favoured choice was AMD for price & performance

Now its intel with the new P4 3.06 with hyper threading enabled is without a doubt the finest chip on the market

yes intel is very expensive but if you compare chips of a similar processing speed the intel P4 is acually cheaper

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.00 GHz) "Thoroughbred" Core £147.16
Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.0GHz (400FSB) 512k Cache (Northwood) £134.18

check here for P4's 3.06 spec

smokin[1].gif

if you compare similar products... you will compare the RATED product from amd v/s the speed of the intel processor... therefore the 2000+ would compare v/s the 2.0 ghz cpu from intel... the 2400+ compares with/exceeds performance of the 2.4ghz B intel cpu... twozigzag probably does not deal with AMD products much :)

the fastest amd processor... the 2800+ on the market now... competes very well with the 3.06 ghz processor from INTEL even with a difference in speed of almost 700-800mhz..

AMD is still the best price/performance option you can get...

Posted by Sazar
twozigzag probably does not deal with AMD products much :)

your right there

Fitting an athlon is like rocket science & can work out quite expensive when you've finished adding extra cooling.

the P4's are a good all rounder & should serve you well for many years

I cant say the same for athlon
The normal running temperatures for an athlon not only reduces the life of the chip but also its surrounding components

unless of course you've invested in a proper cooling system & fitted it correctly like you have Sazar.

but not all of us have your knowledge and expertise

:cool:

Dont forget the Intel chips overclock like a B****. People have been known to get 3Ghz + out of 2/2.2/2.4 Ghz chips - this is obviously with more complex cooling, but if u take the 1.8 Ghz intel w/ 400FSB and oc it to 533 (33Mhz in real terms - 100-133 quad pumped) you get 2.4Ghz. This can be done with stock cooling - now whos got the better price/performance :p

NB - i have had several AMD systems, i am typing this from a AMD system. My next upgrade will deffinately be an Intel chip.

Intel Rule's
I think you should check your info Sazar unless you know more than AMD themselves, as I'm sure that if AMD could get away with it they would have named that chip the 3000+
Check outHere
The 2800+ can only just keep up with the 2.8g from Intel

P.S. I notice how the 2800+ has been released in winter

hehehe:D

If you have the money, go for the 3.06 GHz P4 with hyperthreading :)

That's all I have to say.

Question:

Do any of these newer processors come with Digital Rights Management (DRM)? I fear its arrival.

Melon

Posted by TwoZigzagColt45
your right there

Fitting an athlon is like rocket science & can work out quite expensive when you've finished adding extra cooling.

the P4's are a good all rounder & should serve you well for many years

I cant say the same for athlon
The normal running temperatures for an athlon not only reduces the life of the chip but also its surrounding components

unless of course you've invested in a proper cooling system & fitted it correctly like you have Sazar.

but not all of us have your knowledge and expertise

:cool:

so basically you are saying only stupid people have the ability to use intel processors and install them while clever people use amd ?

lol I hope you are not..

basically... when you add up the costs of buying a mobo/cpu/memory you are going to end up spending around HALF as much with a top of the line amd system v/s a top of the line intel system... well ok not half... perhaps 3/5'ths

almost 600 for the AMD system v/s almost 1000 for an intel system... now for the savings of 400 dollars I suppose you can go out and purchase a TOP OF THE LINE water cooled system and voila you are good to go...

it is people spreading misconceptions like you are twozigzag that really frustrates cpu users... its all bogus PR related to this being better and that being better...

amd/intel... who cares... they both run the same progs and you are not going to notice the difference that much with some of the top systems out there now unless you are benching or REALLY want cutting edge performance...

:for melon:

what is it that you want to know... list the items you would like to know and we will go from there... am sure there are a lot of people out there who can explain things to you in detail...

these this chip versus that chip really can be brought up again and again, as the new releases will always bring new cards to the table.

so, this particular comaprison has waited long enough, and it's well to do it again.

used to be that at any price, the amd was in fact a better chip, with the added bonus of also being less expensive.

yep, at that time, even if the amd was more money, I would still get that chip

now, however, you must includ value to make the proper comparison.

for value, the amd has the best bang for buck

if not to consider dollor versus performance, then the intel

now, all this will change soon enough, when the next generation are compared again.

the hammer will be able to multitask with current technology, new, present and old

the intel looks like it will be proprietory...only new applications will need bother

that's when the amd will be a clear choice regardless of price again

Posted by Sazar
:for melon:

what is it that you want to know... list the items you would like to know and we will go from there... am sure there are a lot of people out there who can explain things to you in detail...

(Perhaps this deserves its own separate topic, but anyway...)

I'm building a new system. I'm currently running an AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz, and, truthfully, I've hit the wall in terms of computing power I need for higher end video applications that I use. So, basically, I'm attempting to build a new computer with the biggest bang for the buck.

So far, I've been scoping out what is the "best." Of course, the "best" includes stuff like the ATI Radeon 9700 / GeForce FX, along with the Intel 3.0 GHz w/ hyper threading; but, looking at their costs, it is flat out going to be too much money for me at this point (plus, I'd like to get a good system before Orwellian spyware crap like DRM comes out :rolleyes: ). Looking at AMD, there are several factors that have attracted me to it, such as the fact that it is cheaper and generally performs better than Intel at their respective specific hertz levels (i.e., a 1.33 GHz AMD is faster than a 1.33 GHz Intel). Plus, the motherboards offered for AMD seem to have more stuff on them...lol.

So far, I'm impressed with two motherboards: the Gigabyte GA-7VAXP and now the Chaintech nForce2 mobo--because of all the stuff packed in these boards. I do like the fact that the nForce2 would likely have onboard video, as that would be one less thing I would need to upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Melon

Posted by melon
(Perhaps this deserves its own separate topic, but anyway...)

I'm building a new system. I'm currently running an AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz, and, truthfully, I've hit the wall in terms of computing power I need for higher end video applications that I use. So, basically, I'm attempting to build a new computer with the biggest bang for the buck.

So far, I've been scoping out what is the "best." Of course, the "best" includes stuff like the ATI Radeon 9700 / GeForce FX, along with the Intel 3.0 GHz w/ hyper threading; but, looking at their costs, it is flat out going to be too much money for me at this point (plus, I'd like to get a good system before Orwellian spyware crap like DRM comes out :rolleyes: ). Looking at AMD, there are several factors that have attracted me to it, such as the fact that it is cheaper and generally performs better than Intel at their respective specific hertz levels (i.e., a 1.33 GHz AMD is faster than a 1.33 GHz Intel). Plus, the motherboards offered for AMD seem to have more stuff on them...lol.

So far, I'm impressed with two motherboards: the Gigabyte GA-7VAXP and now the Chaintech nForce2 mobo--because of all the stuff packed in these boards. I do like the fact that the nForce2 would likely have onboard video, as that would be one less thing I would need to upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Melon

the nforce2 onboard video is basically the same as a gf4 MX video card...ie not very good... might as well get something else... very good video card solutions can be had for 150 USD and less... I posted a chaintec motherboard review in a related thread called whats the best motherboard... is a good nforce2 solution... the fastest along with the leadtek solution...

[note] please keep all further posts in this thread relevant to the last post by Melon, the thread starter... inflamatory posts on amd v/s intel, who is better and related articles that may lead to flaming will cause this thread to be closed [/note]

Sazar its all fine and well making a note like that but I must say that yet again your Info is flawed. The Q is Intel or AMD. You have replied stating that it would cost $400 more to purchase CPU/Board/RAM well I think that you will find that it is you who has swayed from the topic, I mean who mentioned Board/RAM
Anyhow here is the correct comparison in price as checked in the UK
LN4345 2.8GHz (533FSB) Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 512k Cache * S478 * 289.00 339.58

LN4568 AMD Athlon XP 2700+ *333 FSB* (2.17 GHz) "Thoroughbred" Core **READY TO SHIP** 262.27 308.17

I have compared the 2700+ to the 2.8g which is quite unfair to the intel chip as it offers much more performance.
Scan very competitive prices
Sazar I understand where you are comming from but you are wrong.

Posted by Goldy
Sazar its all fine and well making a note like that but I must say that yet again your Info is flawed. The Q is Intel or AMD. You have replied stating that it would cost $400 more to purchase CPU/Board/RAM well I think that you will find that it is you who has swayed from the topic, I mean who mentioned Board/RAM
Anyhow here is the correct comparison in price as checked in the UK
LN4345 2.8GHz (533FSB) Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 512k Cache * S478 * 289.00 339.58

LN4568 AMD Athlon XP 2700+ *333 FSB* (2.17 GHz) "Thoroughbred" Core **READY TO SHIP** 262.27 308.17

I have compared the 2700+ to the 2.8g which is quite unfair to the intel chip as it offers much more performance.
Scan very competitive prices
Sazar I understand where you are comming from but you are wrong.

well thank you for correcting me :)

btw I was making the above pricing remark in regards to a related post in this thread about purchasing heat sinks...

Intel Rule's
I think you should check your info Sazar unless you know more than AMD themselves, as I'm sure that if AMD could get away with it they would have named that chip the 3000+
Check outHere
The 2800+ can only just keep up with the 2.8g from Intel

P.S. I notice how the 2800+ has been released in winter
the headline of the conclusion of that article?

Conclusion: Athlon XP 2800+ is the Performance Winner, But Not Available Until 2003 - and we all know that the 2800+ is available now...

you did not see my pricing arguments :) I had taken them directly from another website fyi... not made them up

reading melons post you would know also that he is looking @ all the devices... and prices seem to be a little important to him.... thats why I had asked melon to post a clarification on WHAT he wanted out of this thread...

pricing comparisons can be any which way... I generally look up pricewatch or my local store down the street which happens to have some of the lowest cpu prices in the country... and is down the road :) pricewatch states the same 2 cpu's you have listed @ the prices of p4 2.8ghz @ 385 USD (cheapest) and amd 2700+ @ 346 USD... and they compete reasonably well from the same link you provided earlier...

now if you would only explain in detail why I am wrong... we can go ahead and end this discussion and stick to what melon wants...

I would also appreciate a note... perhaps in a pm with all the other various instances that I have been wrong since obviously my information does not seem to help anyone on this forum... who knows.. I might have to retire since I am so wrong all the time

I would like to add an edit to all those feeling sleighted by my posts regarding AMD v/s intel...

as is the case with nvidia/ati... bogus marketing does miff me quite a bit... stating that ones product is not as good as the other due to blah blah blah reason and therefore pricing it out of the range of most people makes little sense to me.. and then to see the same over-priced piece being touted as an average joe's solution does not appeal to me... 650 dollars plus for a cpu is a lot of money.. regardless of how much you have in your budget...

intel DOES have the fastest solution on the market... but its price/performance still does not match that of amd... as you will read time and again in online reviews... and amd cpu installation does not require a brain surgeon... is intel a bad product? no it is not.. it is an excellent product... is amd a bad product? no... it too is an excellent product... they are designed differently and work differently to achieve the same results... as I have posted previously in this thread...

if you look at the benchmarks, p4s actually are better AT THE SAME SPEED as an athlon, such as the article in the new maximum pc magazine for this year, example: the 2.2ghz p4 got 320fps in q3, the new 2.2thoroughbred got around 290.... they had intel beat, but, they're lagging behind now...
why i'm switchin to intel

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back