Intel i7-940 or Core2 Q9550, that is the question....

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
I am going to be upgrading my trusty desktop once again in the next few months, and I again am looking to "Future proof" things as much as possible.

Right now I have to get past the debate of which processor to run. I have settled on Intel (sadly I really like pulling for AMD when they were really in the race, but it looks like they have fallen off the horse for the time being), but i am torn as to which processor to run with. Intel i7-940/920 or Core 3 Quad 9550S. As you can see from the data sheets

http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupId=37148
http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupID=33924

there is several things to consider, mainly the socket type. LGA775 already has its feet wet, whereas the "newer" FCLGA1366 is just getting started. I am trying to be careful in socket choice so that in the future I might be able to upgrade CPU only and not half my internals for a small step up.

I have also not been able to find any real world comparison testing between these 2 processors. They are fundamentally different from what I have been able to gather, the i7 using quick path tech, verses standard high speed FSB.

I like the idea behind i7's QPI but I am concerned about the new socket platform ending up being a one off and never used again type thing.

Any feedback on this would be great, thanks

Last edited:
don't think it'll be a once and done socket.... but i'd have to say the Core i7. Core 2 Quad's are nice.... but if you want to be a bit more future-proof, i think it'd be best to go with a Core i7 with DDR3 and the LGA1366 motherboard rather than a Core 2 Quad with either DDR2 or DDR3 and an LGA775 motherboard. Either way you go, if you DO decide to upgrade the CPU at a later date, and they do switch to a new socket, you'd need a new motherboard and CPU anyway. But if you go Core 2 Quad, and use DDR2, you'll be in the same boat i'm in now.... needing the mobo, CPU, and DDR3 to go along. Wish i would have waited a bit longer to upgrade my computer, but oh well.

The IC7 is the future. You might as well go that route if you are looking to upgrade.

There are numerous performance benefits.

I just noticed that there is an extreame edition which boasts a 3.2ghz but double the cost. Anyone know if there is anything "special" about it other than the higher speed?

don't go with the extreme edition. as far as i (and probably many, MANY others) am concerned, it's basically just an e-p*nis extension, being able to say you have it. Think it has a slightly higher cache, and maybe a slightly higher multiplier, but cache size increases tend to be hardly noticable, and the multiplier is only useful if you overclock. even then, you can still overclock the i7 920 and 940 quite high apparently.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back