Intel Core 2 Duo Processor or Intel Core Duo Processor

M

Mecham

Which should I buy Intel Core Duo Processor or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

I need to upgrade my computers again ready for Windows Vista, I went to my main supplier which I have been using from day one and could not understand why these processors are so dam cheap. not that I am complaining, I am over the moon with the price, but are they more powerful than a P4 with HT Technology. (I just asked to stupid question).

These are the prices of my processor I paid 4 years ago, when I last upgraded. Which of the following processors is better... D 930 3Ghz or which is 800 FSB or the 1.86 with a whopping 1066 MHz FSB.

Processor - 1 x Intel Pentium D 930 3 GHz ( 800 MHz ) Dual-Core - LGA775 Socket - L2 4 MB ( 2 x 2 MB ) link below.
http://www.overclock.co.uk/product.php?productid=11159920&cat=653&view=rel

Or this one

Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz LGA775 FSB1066 2Mb link below.
http://www.overclock.co.uk/product.php?productid=11242747&cat=258&view=rel

Which one would you get...? :)

Motherboard I don't have an issue with because there is only one make I will use and that is Gigabyte.

Last edited:
Definitely Core 2 coz it's 64-bit processor... Core Duo is 32-bit only from what I understand.

EDIT: err... think you should change the title.. it's a bit misleading when you later ask which of the two : Pentium D and Core 2 is better.

C2D all the way. The Pentium D has nothing on the C2D. The C2D is the best processor out right now.

seconded, thirded fourthed... ( made those last two words up, they are mine now) :)

Definitely Core 2 coz it's 64-bit processor... Core Duo is 32-bit only from what I understand.

EDIT: err... think you should change the title.. it's a bit misleading when you later ask which of the two : Pentium D and Core 2 is better.

From the spec for the 930 it is 64-bit

Product Description Intel Pentium D 930 3 GHz processor
Product Type Processor
Processor Type Intel Pentium D 930 Dual-Core
Processor Type Intel Pentium D 930 Dual-Core - 64-bit

all the dual core cpus are 64bit amd and intel

all the dual core cpus are 64bit amd and intel

nope, you're wrong. ;)
Core Duo is based on the Yonah core which doesn't support EM64T, whereas Core 2 Duo is based on Merom core which supports EM64T.

nope, you're wrong. ;)
Core Duo is based on the Yonah core which doesn't support EM64T, whereas Core 2 Duo is based on Merom core which supports EM64T.

Oh... :cry:

I will always put my hands up when I am wrong and yeah... :suprised:

nope, you're wrong. ;)

i stand corrected :)

thanks, but err, they are now patented perris and you will have to pay me royalties every time you use them in rep points... :)

Ehm, they should not be patented. A patent applies to an idea or invention that can be physically described in algorithms.

If I remember correctly, what you want to do is get it copyrighted and trademarked.

Re: Which should I buy Intel Core Duo Processor or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

I need to upgrade my computers again ready for Windows Vista, I went to my main supplier which I have been using from day one and could not understand why these processors are so dam cheap. not that I am complaining, I am over the moon with the price, but are they more powerful than a P4 with HT Technology. (I just asked to stupid question).

These are the prices of my processor I paid 4 years ago, when I last upgraded. Which of the following processors is better... D 930 3Ghz or which is 800 FSB or the 1.86 with a whopping 1066 MHz FSB.

Processor - 1 x Intel Pentium D 930 3 GHz ( 800 MHz ) Dual-Core - LGA775 Socket - L2 4 MB ( 2 x 2 MB ) link below.
http://www.overclock.co.uk/product.php?productid=11159920&cat=653&view=rel

Or this one

Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz LGA775 FSB1066 2Mb link below.
http://www.overclock.co.uk/product.php?productid=11242747&cat=258&view=rel

Which one would you get...? :)

Motherboard I don't have an issue with because there is only one make I will use and that is Gigabyte.

Get the Core2Duo. The netburst technology (Basically pentium 4 - pentium D) is all faded out. What happened with the Netburst is that it wasn't efficient, even at like 5ghz, it was still waiting for something somewhere which is why they are so "slow". If you don't know how a CPU works, basically the cpu is just processing instructions in the form of 1's and 0's (transistors only have 2 settings, on and off). So what happens is the Netburst technology (pentium D in this case I think) would process an instruction SUPER FAST, but then it'd have to wait for another one because of an inefficiency in the architecture. So that's basically why the coreduo and core2duo are so much faster, they removed that inefficiency and stopped caring about maximum obtainable speed. Then netburst technology, in theory could reach like 10-20ghz I think it was, but that's beyond the thermal limits of silicon, and as soon as the transistors would flip, they would fry, etc. So with the core2duo, it's not so much about speed in frequency, but speed in efficiency.

The much much better deal is the core2duo, much new architecture, insanely good price, and probably will last you a good 3 years. On top of that is the potential this architecture has, it can OC like crazy if you want.

Hope that helps you out :lick:

Ehm, they should not be patented. A patent applies to an idea or invention that can be physically described in algorithms.

If I remember correctly, what you want to do is get it copyrighted and trademarked.

Actually the Patent Orifice and the courts have extended Patents to cover intellectual property of every kind now.

That's why companies are suing each other to death instead of innovating.

PS The reason Intel chips are so cheap now is because AMD is pushing 25% of market share. Every time that happens Intel cleans up its act and drives AMD almost to bankruptcy. Fortunately Intel wants AMD alive (if small) so Intel doesn't have to fight the courts over monopolistic practices like M$ is doing.

Get the Core2Duo. The netburst technology (Basically pentium 4 - pentium D) is all faded out. What happened with the Netburst is that it wasn't efficient, even at like 5ghz, it was still waiting for something somewhere which is why they are so "slow". If you don't know how a CPU works, basically the cpu is just processing instructions in the form of 1's and 0's (transistors only have 2 settings, on and off). So what happens is the Netburst technology (pentium D in this case I think) would process an instruction SUPER FAST, but then it'd have to wait for another one because of an inefficiency in the architecture. So that's basically why the coreduo and core2duo are so much faster, they removed that inefficiency and stopped caring about maximum obtainable speed. Then netburst technology, in theory could reach like 10-20ghz I think it was, but that's beyond the thermal limits of silicon, and as soon as the transistors would flip, they would fry, etc. So with the core2duo, it's not so much about speed in frequency, but speed in efficiency.

The much much better deal is the core2duo, much new architecture, insanely good price, and probably will last you a good 3 years. On top of that is the potential this architecture has, it can OC like crazy if you want.

Hope that helps you out :lick:

No problem I understand what you are saying perfectly, electronics has always been my favorite subject. The 3 years warranty I thought was pretty good, so it looks as though it will be core2duo then but do you think 1.86GHz is ok or would you go to 2.86GHz is the next step up. I like the idea of 3GHz you see but the price of the core2duo is not that much difference.

No problem I understand what you are saying perfectly, electronics has always been my favorite subject. The 3 years warranty I thought was pretty good, so it looks as though it will be core2duo then but do you think 1.86GHz is ok or would you go to 2.86GHz is the next step up. I like the idea of 3GHz you see but the price of the core2duo is not that much difference.

I have the 2.13ghz E6400 myself which I have overclocked to 2.99ghz on stock voltage which is completely stable for gaming and encoding video. So it's really up to you. The biggest difference between the core2 E6300/E6400 is that they're "Allendales" which means 2mb of L2 cache, and E6600+ are "Conroe" which are 4mb L2 cache. That difference is only an average of 3.5% in games according to anandtech, and if you don't mind spending about $340 for a E6600 then it's the best bang for the buck. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back