Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Do I need this or not? Seems even Intel can't make their mind up.

In the manual it says if I am using XP then 'No' I don't need it.

"""NO" indicates that the operating system should optimally configure the Intel chipset. The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility does not need to be run.""

OK fair enough. Now go to the Intel site & you get this>

"This utility installs INF files that inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB and AGP."

"OS: Windows* 2000, Windows* 98 SE, Windows* Me, Windows* Server 2003, Windows* XP Home Edition, Windows* XP Professional".

I suppose it's one of those 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' things. :confused:

I think it depends on the chipset that you have. Mine is an intel 848p and it DOES need the utility.

I had 848e I think and the utility is 6.XX and I also used it. What ever you do though is don't use the accelrator application as most times it won't boot your PC, had to go back to last know configuration that worked for it to boot.

Ahhhh that's it....chipset.

I use the accelerator. Had no problems with it.

Thanxs. :)

some intel m'boards running xp doesnt allow the installation of the intel chipset software, it will just say that its already supported by the OS but some chipset allows it to install.

I have both accelerator and Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility installed on my PC.

I think you should install it....

I've got the 850E chipset. Intel say I don't need it with XP. I did have it installed at one time though. It would be good if Intel sorted theses applications out a bit at the site to help people that aren't too savvy with what is what. /me included. :D

If I try to install this utility, at some point of the install process my PC boots. I don't know if I should install it or not - the chipset is 865PE. But I suppose something goes wrong during the install, what could it be?

I really don't know what Intel are on about. Just had another look at this page & now they say I do need the chipset. That's after saying that I don't need the damn thing.

I'm not going to touch it. My system is working very well without it. If it ain't broke.....don't 'fix' it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back