Intel and their family of CPUs

ming

OSNN Advanced
http://news.com.com/AMD+hatches+new+naming+plan+for+chip+generations/2100-1006_3-5453187.html?tag=nefd.top

The above link is just for reference to AMD's family of CPUs, but it does give you an idea of what's been happening.

Anyway, does anyone remember running a P5 or P6?? Most of you are probably thinking that I'm nuts and that the P5/P6 never existed. You'd be wrong to think that. :)
When I first got my Pentium PC, it was labelled P5 on the box although the CPU itself was only a Pentium. Strange, I thought. But having read the above link, I think Intel has lost the plot. :p

Intel's P designation for chip families such as the P5 (the first Pentium) and the P6, which included both the Pentium II and III.

Intel's probably moved to Pentium M coz they realised that they can't be using P5 again. haha

Good post ming. I've been doing some research on the AMD chips. This helped a lot actually, thanks :cool:

ming said:
Anyway, does anyone remember running a P5 or P6?? Most of you are probably thinking that I'm nuts and that the P5/P6 never existed. You'd be wrong to think that. :)
When I first got my Pentium PC, it was labelled P5 on the box although the CPU itself was only a Pentium. Strange, I thought. But having read the above link, I think Intel has lost the plot. :p
I, unfortunately, am old enough to remember and have owned a P5...and earlier :( :rolleyes:

I started out on an NEC V20 Turbo. Ran at an earth shatteriing 8Mhz!!!

uh... you serious???

this is 2004 for the next 5/6 weeks you should get a new PC and retire the snail hehe :D

Elektro Slime said:
check my sig, and yes im actually on that now! i swear!!!!!
um, read the first post/link.. you'll find that your P1 is probably a P5. haha

which means the Pentium 4 should be P7 class cpus

not sure, I think P4's were stuck under P6 as well. as from the pentium pro onwards to was virtually unchanged. To my knowledge all that was added were more instructions and smaller components.

However I would be very interested to learn more :D so if anyone has correct and/or more info please post :D

Elektro Slime said:
check my sig, and yes im actually on that now! i swear!!!!!
whyyyyy
get a new computer, they might pay you to buy this classic from you :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back