Insufficient system resources error!

E

eva2000

Hi i'm new to this forum :D

I just upgraded one of my pcs and upgraded to WinXP Pro (2nd system - P4 1.6A in my sig) and i thought it would be powerful enough to multi-task since it's a P4 1.6A@2041mhz with 1024MB Corsair XMS2700 DDRAM @187mhz with 80GB Seagate Barracuda IV with C partitioned with NTFS

but loading up

- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe ImageReady
- Macromedia Dreamweaver
- Task Manager

is okay but open one more program such as SunOffice or an IE 6 browser window gives me an 'Insufficient system resources error' ??

Weird....

Whats your pagefile size on your C:\ Drive.

According to recent forum posts it should be set to 1+1/2 times your mem, so about 1.5 gig in your case.

You havent disabled it or anyting have you?

I guess you found out there IS a limit to multi-tasking memory intensive proggies. I don't see it as an issue myself... close something. :p

maybe this is the reason ?

Windows 9.x incorporates the Windows 64KB system-resource limit for better performance when it is providing backward compatibility.

Because of their fundamental nature at the core of Windows, the performance of these legacy 16-bit heaps has been improved by limiting their data to a single 64Kb segment of DOS memory (the Intel processors can access data from a 64Kb segment much faster than from a wider area). If either of these segments becomes full, programs may fail to load and Windows may become unstable - regardless of how much other free memory there is. Although the 32-bit heaps are 2MB large, the resource problem really lies with the 16-bit heaps, and so they do not present a problem.

Note that although the resources are unlimited for WinNT/2K/XP, they only apply to 32-bit programs. 16-bit programs are still subject to 32KB or 64KB limitations due to their system handles.
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=93

are Above programs 16bit or 32bit ???

32-bit

DOS programs tend to be 16-bit and programs in the time of WIndows 95 also tend to be 16-bit.

I have also had this problem and to resolve it I bought a Mac!... :D

Just kidding :)

I stopped using loads of programs all at once.

Originally posted by Gouk
32-bit

DOS programs tend to be 16-bit and programs in the time of WIndows 95 also tend to be 16-bit.

I have also had this problem and to resolve it I bought a Mac!... :D

Just kidding :)

I stopped using loads of programs all at once.
defeats the purpose of me upgrading solely for multi-tasking purposes :(

1600@2041 to 1600@1920 now i manage to open all 5 above programs + additionally sun star office and 2 more IE 6. windows before i get the insufficient system resources error

can overclocking affect system resources ???

Over clocking can produce alot of weird results. This could be one.

i found my problem!

it was Photoshop causing the problem when i assigned it 65% of my memory resources.. i reduced it to 50% of my memory and no insufficient system resource errors!

managed to open

- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe ImageReady
- Macromedia Dreamweaver
- Task Manager
- Sun Staroffice
- irfanview graphics ap
- 34 x IE 6 browser windows

and no probs at all :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back