Instant Messengers

H

Hud

I'm thinking of installing AIM or ICQ to chat with my son but don't know which one to go with so I' asking for recommendations. I have NIS 2003 installed will this be a problem with either program.? Thanks! H.F.

why not just join our IRC chat room and have him do it too and chat there??

I don't like either AIM or ICQ myself, I would use MSN messenger myself.

cool.gif

u might wanna check out yahoo messenger. u can voice and video chat with someone as well. yahoo is my favorite.

MSN Messenger is pretty simple. Yahoo is nice. ICQ is bloated with a bunch of junk(Look for Miranda ICQ).

I'd say MSN. ICQ's too bloated, IRC isn't that good for just talking to one person. as for yahoo and aim, i dont use them, so i can't judge them.
MSN's nice and easy to use and you can use voice/webcam's too.

only one i've used is MSN ...with a headset its like talking on phone ....add a webcam and its even better :)

Can I talk to AOL Instant Messenger ppl with the messenger that comes with windows xp?

Originally posted by method
Can I talk to AOL Instant Messenger ppl with the messenger that comes with windows xp?

No, that is Windows Messenger and can be used to chat on the MSN Messenger Network

To talk to AO Hell people you will need to get the AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)

Well actually you can, but they have to sign up with a MSN Messenger Account (hotmail, msn or passport)

I believe ICQ and AIM (AOL) have merged their chat clients, at least they were suppose to. That would mean you could chat with AIM ppl with ICQ and visa versa.

That should be good, I wouldnt have to install AIM to chat to people on there

Personally I wish there was a single client that could do all of them, so If you had a MSN account then you could also chat to people on ICQ, MSN, AIM and Yahoo! IM. And I dont mean something like trillian

There is, it's called Trillian or Easy Message (think that's it anyway) :)

No Trillian can log into all of them, but you cant do like a conference chat with people from each of the different accounts

Thanks for all the suggestions! I decided to try ICQ Lite for now. I'm going to try some of the other programs after I get familiar with instant messaging. I was going to try Yahoo Messenger but the web page said the voice chat wouldn't work through a fire wall. Will voice chat in MSN Messenger work through a fire wall (NIS 2003)?

Originally posted by Hud
I was going to try Yahoo Messenger but the web page said the voice chat wouldn't work through a fire wall.
Yes it will, I've used it before running NIS2002

It will work, it just takes a tiny bit more configurin

In most cases it would be telling to allow all activities for the IM client you are using.

You can't beat trillian pro. MSN is bloated and Yahoo! is too. I like to keep it simple and trillian is best for this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back