Instant Messenger Turns On By Itself.

P

puzzleface

I'm using Windows XP Professional.

Very recently I downloaded the latest "dot net" application from the Windows Update. Ever since, Windows Messenger has been turning on by itself. The icon won't even show up in the Systray and I'll still get random messages from people. Its seems to just come on when it detects an internect connection. I've unchecked the appropriate boxes in the Messenger Options but it still does the same thing.

If anyone has some clue as to how to prevent this from happening I would appreciate it.

Thanks

it used to happen to me all the time too... I found it would happen when I opened Outlook to check my email. I fixed it by disabling messaging in Outlook (theres an option in the Outlook options).

If you use Outlook Express, I'm sure theres an option there too.

However, if you use Hotmail, I never figured out a way to stop that one.

Do you use Messenger at all? My guess is no if you don't want it loading up at all, and if that is the case then here is the easiest solution.

Go find your messenger folder that its installed in (in program files i believe)

Just rename the folder to something like 'MessengerOFF'

Problem solved :cool:

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
Do you use Messenger at all? My guess is no if you don't want it loading up at all, and if that is the case then here is the easiest solution.

Go find your messenger folder that its installed in (in program files i believe)

Just rename the folder to something like 'MessengerOFF'

Problem solved :cool:

yes yes... thats what I did...

I renamed the file so that it would not startup automatically :D

now it only startsup when I want it to...

I couldn't remember what I had done to disable it last night puzzle on mIRC... sry bout that :)

The proper way is...

look in the GPE and disable Messenger.

-SlimP

best and most complete way is:

Uninstall messenger

To do so click run. Then Type:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back