installing xp pro problems (plz help)

X

xenon_131

I am attempting to install Windows XP Pro on my other system (brand new) so all hardware is compatable... i have had xp pro (using the disk i have) on it previously.. but i formatted as i had a few problems... anyway... basicaly i am attempting to reinstall xp pro after a full format of my OS partition (primary C:\ and active and ntfs) however when installing the install stops and goes know where at a point when (at the bottom of the screen) it says "Setup is starting windows" and at the top left hand corner of the screen it says "Windows Setup" (at this point its the blue screen *NOT THE ERROR ONE* but the one u get when installing xp or 2k etc) and it pauses at this point... i cant understand why its doing it. I used partition magic 8 to format the partition before i attempted to install the OS and also used that to convert the partition to NTFS.

I have also attempted to install 98se on it to see if it was my disk even though the day before i installed xp pro with the disk i am using on to this machine i am typing this into :S

i get the error (as shown bellow)

Device driver not found: "OEMCD001"
No valid CDROM device drivers selected

The Windows 98 Setup files were not found

Now i am not sure where i am supposedd to "select the device drivers" but i havnt altered my config of my bios etc... so i cant see y there would be a problem

Could it have anything to do with the boot record ? I have seen some talk about the MBR (Master Boot Record) when i have been searching around for some answers... if so how do i fix these problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... Thanks

[X]enon

===========================
OTHER INFO U MIGHT NEED TO KNOW
===========================

My hard drive setup is 120gig total partitioned into 3 partitons one for my OS (5gig) one for games (7gig) and the rest for well just stuff :)...

C Partition = Active , Primary , NTFS (when installing xp) FAT32 (When installing 98se)

-Extended partition-

D Partition = Logical (status is none ie not active) NTFS (when installing xp) FAT32 (When installing 98se)

E Partition = Logical (status is none ie not active) NTFS (when installing xp) FAT32 (When installing 98se)

When i test each partition with partition magic it finds no erros when i perform the error check.. so they should (according to PM8 be ok)

I have 2 cdroms (one cdrw one cdrom / dvd player)

My hardrive is set to "primary master"

Secondary Master "cdrw"
Secondary Slave "DVD ROM"

so that config is fine... i havnt altered anything with my bios etc just formatted C partition and attempted to install xp ...

also i didnt format becuase i had a virus it was because of a driver i installed for my adsl modem that messed up xp lol

Also when installing OS i have set my bios to look for a bootable cd rather than floppy disks... so setting it up that way.

Thanks [X]enon

you could take a look in the bios and see if theres anything you could change but from what you said i would try to re-installed ur drivers for ur cd-rom and see how that goes... i'm no real expert so cant say much but thats what i would of done

If you have no joy with new CD drivers, you could always try copying the i386 directory from the WinXP CD to the root of one of your other partitions, and install from there. Downside is you gotta make a set of XPboot floppy disks. (think it needs 4 but i've never used this method. Only going on experience with setting Win2K up this way)
Once booted from your floppies, navigate to the i386 folder and your off! Can't see any reason why that shouldn't work, and if it does, then you now know the cause of the problem.

BTW how was your OS originally installed? By yourself+CD or was it pre-installed?

hmm...

Reply to - forcer

wont work... i havnt got any OS installed so all i got is command prompt of either my boot disk or my OS disk... but i tried inserting it anyway to see if it was bootable lol.. just to rule out another option but it didnt work... thanks for the idea about the drivers but it dont work :(

also i havnt altered my bios settings appart from changing the first boot device from my hdd to the cdrom everything else remains the same and therefore should work as its the config that worked before.... thanks for ur help anyway

[X]enon

REPLY TO = Erbmaster

hmm i supose i could try creating a new folder on my e partition and copying the ie386 dir to the hdd using dos.. should be interesting... (btw i got the xp bootdisks) but like i said in my first message i dont think its the cd.. but it would show that my cdrom is ****ed (GRR ITS NEW!! :( ) but i dont think its my cdrom as i tried installing of both my cdroms (dvd and burner) same problems :(

My OS was orriginaly installed by me using the same copy i am using now.... the system was built by someone else as i aint 100% on building a system YET!! hehe...

Originally posted by xenon_131

My OS was orriginaly installed by me using the same copy i am using now....

Was it the same drive though? if it's a new one it's driver's probably not on the CD.

the system was built by someone else as i aint 100% on building a system YET!! hehe...

Methinks it won't be long..... ;)
Once a dabbler, always a dabbler :D

REPLY TO = Erbmaster

Yeh its the same hard disk

This is what i cant understand.. the config hasnt altered yet this time when trying to install it doenst work :( ... yet previsouly with the same config it has worked.

Strange Huh

[X]enon

REPLY TO = Erbmaster

Yeh its the same hard disk

This is what i cant understand.. the config hasnt altered yet this time when trying to install it doenst work :( ... yet previsouly with the same config it has worked.

Strange Huh

[X]enon

I guess I wasn't specific enough. I meant is it the same CD/CD-RW drive you installed from originally?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back