Installing Ubuntu on Partition

N

Not Bman

I have a 200GB drive, 78.6GB left on that drive.

I want a 40GB partition out of the 78.6GB, leaving 38.6GB

I have been using Partition Magic 8.0 to do my paritioning.

I tryed making a 40GB Partition, but when I load the Ubuntu CD, and go into the installation, everything gets complicated. Ubuntu needs, 3 different things and has all kinds of weird names.

Can anyone explain, how do I simply choose that 40GB parition for my Ubuntu.

From within Partition Magic 8.0 it shows this on the details of the drive..

Partition - Type - SizeMB - Used MB - UnusedMB - Status - Pri/Log

Main Drive (C: ) - NTFS - 150,766.2 - 110,180.6 - 40,585.6 - Active - Pri

(*) - Extended - 40,113.5 - 40,113.5 - 0.0 - None - Pri

Ubuntu (l: ) - NTFS - 40,113.4 - 65.4 - 39,948.0 - None - Logical

What is the (*) part of the drive, and when I try installing Ubuntu, I can't seem to really find any of these. Should I use the Partitioner build within the Ubuntu install?

I ran the LiveCD, and started the installation, and I get to step 3 and it dosen't do anything, keeps saying its loading, but nothing is happening??

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using the Live CD you may want to give gparted a try for adjusting your partitions. If you are new to creating or adjusting partions for linux, I found the easiest way was just to leave the amount of disk space that you want to use for your linux drive totally blank. The during the installation choose the option "Use largest unused disk space".

If you want to do your partitions yourself, you need to create two volumes. One will be your swap space and generally is figured by doubling your amount of RAM in your PC. (1 gig of RAM = 2 gig swap drive) The rest of the space will be used for your main partition using ext3 filesystem.

Your final system setup should look similar to the attached image. This example has 4 NTFS drives 1 swap drive for Ubuntu and 1 EXT3 drive for the installation of Ubuntu.

Screenshot-GParted.png

You made the Linux partition NTFS. Linux will (sort of) work with NTFS but it makes life problematic. Change it to FAT32 for your learning period then change it back to NTFS latter and reinstall once you are more adept at Linux.

Also create a small ~5 GB FAT32 partiton for data swapping between Windows and XP. You can swap without it, but it makes life easier.

Thought you could only have one type of filesystem on a drive, NTFS, all has to be that? I guess I am wrong?

Anyone, have ideas about the freezing?

You are wrong.... each partition can have its own file management system.

Why not repartition? I see no real reason to try using NTFS with Linux, having a FAT32 area for file exchange is necessary though if you want to move files back and forth. I think once you have done this there will be no more freezing - that could be down to a bad CD or many things - best to just move on I would think.

So let me refresh what I should do.....create a 40Gb NTFS partition, with lets say a 2GB FAT32 SWAP....then

How important is file exchange between Windows and Linux? This all seems a little twisted just to share files when it can be done other ways. If you were to do installation of Ubuntu only on a machine, you would create a linux-swap drive and an ext3 drive since it is the most efficent. This can also be done on a dual boot (WinXP and Ubuntu) and still allow for sharing of files. If you already have Windows installed and you are installing Ubuntu 6.06, Ubuntu should automaticlly mount your Windows partitions for you during the installation process (After install, look in your places menu). This however will only allow you read access to the NTFS drives. (This may be the one downfall) On your Windows installation, install EXT2 IFS. This will allow you to map a drive and assign a drive letter to your Linux partition if it is in the ext3 format. This allows you to have read AND WRITE access to your Linux partition.

If you are uncomfortable with creating the partitions, I would suggest removing everything from the space you want to use for Linux. No filesystem, no formatting or anything. Leave it totally blank. Then install Linux and during the install when in asks for a installation location choose "Largest continous free space". This will automaticlly setup your swap drive and ext3 drive.

I have 4 machines running dual boot (WinXP / Ubuntu 6.06) and I have set up all of them this way and found this the easiest/quickest/most stable way to do it.

As always, make sure to keep an open mind and take multiple suggestions. With Windows and Linux there MANY way to do the same thing, it is just finding the ones that you are most comfortable with.

I have Windows XP Installed on the 200gb Drive, how can I leave part of it totally blank, not formatted? Is that possible?

Since I have gparted available, here is what it looks like. In this example with a 80 gig drive, 40 gig for Windows and 40 gig for Ubuntu. Apply the changes you made and then run the install.

Attachments

• partition.png
    partition.png
    43 KB · Views: 110
that really dosen't help at all, cause I was looking in Gparted while in LiveCD, and you can't make partitions, only resize?...

my livecd isn't working, and its a new cd wtf!!!

If I do that, Gparted should have an option "New Partition" right?

If you are running from the Live CD then yes, you should be able to create a new partition. However in your case you do not need to create a new partition, just leave the space you want to use for Ubuntu as unallocated. The install will create the partitions for you.

Alright, I'll do that, but what about my cd?

It freezes at that one part, and my cd is brand new burn.

*EDIT....I don't know why the cd wont work now, and I'm going to assume noone can help, I am now download the server cd, so I can install it normally, outside of Ubuntu..

Not sure about the freezing. I did a recent install and at the point that you say it freezes, the CD is being access to obtain language settings for the keyboard. Have you tried a different/new CD? Not that the burn was bad but maybe the CD has issues. Did you lable the CD? Maybe by writing on the CD it effected the disk.

Yea I writed on the top of the disc, and that has never made a difference, nor did I ever hear of something like that.

I'm downloaded the normal cd, which dosen't have livecd, and I'll let you guys know how it goes...

I have checked out download sites and they have 3 different Ubuntu isos

ubuntu desktop, ubuntu server, and ubuntu alternate

As you know, my Desktop (or livecd) is not working...

I downloade server, and it loads into the black screen options, install server, install onto disc, memory check etc etc, none of them work, it loads for seconds and stops....

Now what does that mean, is it my cdrom?

Also, what is ubuntu alternate?

I have not installed Ubuntu server to know its normal ways of operation so I have no idea on that one.

I would try another copy of the LiveCD

Here is a description for each Ubuntu version from www.desktoplinux.com

Ubuntu 6.06 downloads are in ISO files that must be burned to a CD or a DVD before you can either try it or install it. You're given three main installation choices. The first is the "Desktop." This gives you the options of either running Ubuntu off a bootable "live CD" or installing it permanently with an integrated graphical installer.

The "Server" is meant both to install the Linux permanently on a system and to automatically set up a certified LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack. It uses an easy-to-use text-based installer.

The purpose of the Server version is to make Ubuntu more attractive to business customers. "This new functionality is a first step towards the simplification of common server deployment scenarios using Ubuntu" said Fabio Massimo Di Nitto, product manager of Ubuntu Server Edition in a statement.

Finally, Ubuntu has an "Alternative" setup. This is intended for setting up customized OEM (original equipment manufacturer) systems; running automated deployments; seting up upgrading for older installations without network access; performing LVM (Logical Volume Management and/or RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) partitioning; or installing Ubuntu on systems with less than 192MB of RAM.

well if livecd is the best one to use, what do u mean try another...there all the same aren't they?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back