Installing the OS seperately from programs...

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
I would like to install my OS on one partition and my programs on another. Every once in a while, I decide to reinstall my OS (meaning format the HD), but this requires re-installing all the other programs too. If they exist on another partition; great, but many still wont work because of the missing reg entries or whatever after the OS re-install. The actual files are still in the other partition, but since the OS hasn't registered them yet, they often don't run, or with limited functionality.

What I would like is a program that would "watch" what changes are being made to your system when you install something. I know installers copy files to a specific part of your hard drive, but most also make changes to the registry (add startup items, create file associations, etc). This program would then log all changes done to your system in some type of "re-do" file which could be used to restore all these other settings.

Is such a program in existence? If so, where?

There is a program available, I think at this website too, called RegShot, it takes before and after "snapshots" of your registry so you can see what a program installation does. I dont think its a good idea to do what you are saying though, since most program settings are kept in the registry as well as other important info, you would have to take a snapshot of the registry everytime you changed a setting or whatever...

Just my 2 copper,
Pete

If your ultimate goal is being backed up and you have a burner then get Norton Ghost and 5 or so CD-RWs.
And keep a current image.

You can rstore with Ghost in a matter of minutes.
That would be much quicker than reinstalling your OS then trying to associate programs with the registry...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back