Installing SATA drive in XP via DVD?

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
is it possible to install the drivers via DVD instead of the floppy?

yes and there are some other threads around discussing it. including slip streaming the sata drivers to your xp cd. My sata install did not require a floppy. just used the WD CD.

was a piece of cake, it surprised me. stuck in the sata, booted from WD CD, partitioed to match my old pata. imaged the pata onto the sata. pulled the pata, rebooted and all was good.

are you talking about for installing XP onto a SATA drive, or RAID'd SATA drives? if a single drive.... i never had to use SATA drivers for any SATA drive i've owned. all you have to do is check the BIOS settings to make sure it's not automatically detecting any SATA drive connected to your motherboard as a RAID drive.

nlite - That's all I have to say, simple and easy to use. I used it for my last 4 builds.

Slipstreaming the SATA/RAID drivers is the best way to go. Allow me walk you through it.

Firstly, copy the I386 folder from your XP installation CD to X:\WINXP. Also copy WIN51, WIN51IP, WIN51IP.SP2 from the root of your XP installation CD.

Secondly, create a directory called $OEM$ (X:\WINXP\$OEM$). Within that directory create another directory called $1. Within that directory create a folder called SATA.

Next, download the latest drivers (easy one) and extract the drivers to the SATA directory.

Next, open Notepad and add the following text:

Code:
[Unattended]
Unattended=ProvideDefault
OemPreinstall=Yes
OemPnPDriversPath="SATA"
UnattendSwitch=Yes

Save this file as WINNT.SIF in the I386 folder.

Next, open the file named TXTSETUP.SIF in Notepad (located in the I386 directory). Also open the file named TXTSETUP.OEM located in the SATA directory.

I will use my entries for this example.

Under the header [SourceDisksFiles] you want to add the following code (the file name for the .SYS should be equal to the name of your driver).

Code:
iastor.sys   = 1,,,,,,3_,4,1

Under the header [HardwareIdsDatabase] you want to add the following code (however, use the "component section" from your TXTSETUP.OEM).

Your "component section" should look something like:

Code:
[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH7DH]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104","iaStor"
[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH7R]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106","iaStor"
[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH7M]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106","iaStor"
[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH6R]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104","iaStor"
[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH6R]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106","iaStor"
[HardwareIds.scsi.iaAHCI_ICH6M]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106","iaStor"
[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH5R]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104","iaStor"
[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor_ICH5RHR]
id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25B0&CC_0104","iaStor"

Make it look like the following code:

Code:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25B0&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

Under the header for [SCSI.Load] you want to add the following code (using the entry from your TXTSETUP.OEM and .SYS of course). The number will always be "4".

Code:
iaStor = iaStor.sys,4

Under the header for [SCSI] you want to add the line from "component section" of the name of the driver you are installing.

Code:
iaStor   = "Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller"

Next, in the SATA directory you want to open CMD and type the following.

Code:
MAKECAB IASTOR.SYS X:\WINXP\I386\IASTOR.SY_

This will create a file called IASTOR.SY_ within the I386 directory.

The last thing you will have to do is extract the BIN file from the original Windows XP installation CD (using the file I have attached).

Burn the CD (as a bootable CD using the BIN file you extracted) and you are good to go.

I think I covered everything, correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
or downloiad nlite like sheps said and do it in 4 steps...

crap matt, that was some great help.... i'm going to use the nlite first (sorry i am lazy, although doing it your way would be more educational), if that doesn't work then i'll do it your way. But that was great of you to do all that.

If you are ever up to the challange I have much, much more I can share on creating fully slipstreamed install discs for Windows that use WINNT.SIF, RunOnce installs, and more.

Let me know.

well i intergrated the some drives into the xp install, but i cannot find any sata drivers for my two drives. they all seem to be for raid and i just want them to be standalone files. Although when i do install XP it recognises the drives and can install xp on them, without even using the f6 function, so do i even need the sata drivers?

Sorry this is my first foray into sata.... even vista cant handle them correctly, which is just plain dumb... as sata really is the norm now.

You don't need the drivers for the actual drives. You need the drivers for the controller. If you're not setting up a RAID then you likely don't need them. Especially if XP gets past the reformat portion of setup.

good to know, and yes when i get to it i will need your help, as its a lot easier to mass install with a non attended disk.

You don't need the drivers for the actual drives. You need the drivers for the controller. If you're not setting up a RAID then you likely don't need them. Especially if XP gets past the reformat portion of setup.

Hence why i seem to have been the only one to ask whether or not he was setting up a RAID array. if he's not, and the Windows installation won't detect his hard drive, that means that his BIOS is set up to see any and every SATA hard drive connected as being a RAID disk, so.....

lancer: are you setting up a RAID array or not?

no i'm not setting up a raid father! :)

xp does detect it, but i wasn't sure if i needed the driver to fully utilise the drive speed. as i said before this is the first time using sata.

thanks for the help though

ok, then no, you don't need any kind of driver. the only time you have to install drivers for internal hard drives is when it's set up for a RAID array.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back