Installing newest drivers on a new system

K

kevinfrey

I'm building a new machine and will be using XP oem. Correct me if I'm wrong concerning any of my assumptions. I have downloaded the newest drivers from the Soyo site, from Nvidia, and from Creative for the modem. When XP is installing itself it will recognize my hardware. Should I let it choose drivers for me, or will it ask me to put in my drivers?
Also... I've read that XP uses a version of "Easy CD Creator"; That's what I'm useing now(on my present machine) because it came bundled with my Plextor. I even uninstalled the full version which I purchased for about 80 bucks because I like the smaller bundled version better. My new Lite On burner comes with Nero. What do you folks think about Nero vs Easy CD? Will it be easier if I just submit and let MS use Easy CD?
And again.... the WD drive is OEM with no software. I don't think I need anything from them, do I? I've never used the diagnostic stuff that came with the WD drives I'm using now. I'm figuring that XP will have a lot of this sort of utilities built into the OS.
This is my first build and I think I know where all the cables and wires are going. I'm not going to overclock anything right now, probably never will. Have any of you run into any problems using any of the components listed below. Anyone got a "heads up"? Any advice besides "Ground yourself and keep the Mountain Dew away from your work table"?
Thanks again for the help,
kevin

Soyo SY-KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition Via KT333
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73GHz Processor Retail w/Fan and Heatsink
Gainward GeForce4 PowerPack! Ultra/650XP Golden SampleTi4200
2 times Kingston 512MB DDR333 PC2700 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition WD800JB 80GB ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer
Liteon LTD163 16x DVD
Lite On 40X12X48 CDRW Model: LTR40125S
SONY CRT MONITOR Multiscan® E540 21"
Floppy Drive
Creative Blaster V92 PCI Modem
WindowsXP Home Edition
Antec PLUS660 w/350W

Thanks,
kev

XP will install its own native drivers. You can't stop it - and you don't want to. After XP is up and running you can (and should) install all the latest versions.

As for your HD, you need do absolutely nothing. Later on you can make sure UDMA 66 mode is enabled.

nero

As for the nero vs ezcd I have to say nero imho its a better program ,

oh btw

the lite on line of burners are by far one of the best for making backup copys of games <<<<<<< this from a relaible source seems lite-on's just seem to work better I have used my lite-on for almost 2 years now and in all that time maybe I muffed 3 cd's using nero and sometimes clone cd

I would recommend going to the Windows Update site too. :) But, I wouldnt recommend downloading EVERYTHING from there.

Sounds like you have a nice rig.

Well...it's up and running! The only problem I had was the Bios not seeing my hard drive. I went to the WD site and the answer was the first in their FAQ's. My drive was the only device on its cable and I had the jumper shunt in the wrong (default) position. I removed the shunt and all was well. I loaded XP in about 30 minutes, and I've loaded a few programs. I haven't used the burner yet.
Thanks for all the help and friendly advice.
kevin

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back