installing linux

karl_axe

OSNN Addict
im curently running XP in my system. i want to dual boot it with linux.

is it possible to install linux after XP installation?

also i tried it once, it said that i don't have enough DOS Ram. what's that?

i'm completely new at this and literally lost. need help...EXPERT HELP. tnx

Yes you can install Linux After you have installed XP, it is actually better to do it that way.

The only thing you will need is some unused Hard drive space or preferably a separate hard drive for Linux.

I dunno about the DOS RAM thing, can you give us your specs?

Remember to backup your XP before you install Linux, as it can potentially cause your XP installtion not to boot, or it can corrupt your hard drive. Though I have not had any hard drive corruption problems in a long time.

Also if you are going to want to transfer files between Linux and Windows and your Windows Disk is NTFS then you might also want to make a FAT32 partition on the linux drive so that you can put files that you want to access from either there as Windows cant read ext2 or ext3 (linux File System) and Linux doesnt have very good support for NTFS. So a FAT32 or FAT16 partition is useful for that reason.

You can get a program that runs in Windows that allows you to explore and read/write on a ext2/3 partition. I will see if I can get the link and post it here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back