Installing a new motherboard!

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
I'm a little confused with installing a new motherboard. You know those plugs that you connect to the motherboard that control the lights on the front of the box, the pc-speaker, etc. Well, I just want to know, what is generally positive and negative? Eg. The reset switch has a blue and white wire, and the pc-speaker has a red and black. Which is which?

Thanks. :D

well first off, for the reset swith, it doesn't matter which way it goes on, and the PC Speaker, Red will be + (in most cases) I know mine was.

How about the rest?
1. HDD LED
2. Power LED
3. Power Switch

Thanks Goatman! :D

Power switch shouldn't matter either

WHat colour wires do you have on each?

I think in both cases white will be the - terminal. but if you get it wrong, the light will simply not come on. I've put LEDs on backwards before with no harm done. What kind of system u building?

Hard to tell...
The only thing I can tell you is read the manual first...
Then, if you make a mistake while plugging, your pc will not start at all, or reset will not respond,...
Trial and error is the best way to go ! But, on the whole, it has no real effect... I changed my mobo 3 times in 2 years and no prob in this matter !
Hope this helps you a little !

What's the new mobo ?

Oh, it's just an old system that I manage to blow up.
Pentium III 700MHz, Gigabyte GA-6VTXE-A, 192 SDRAM, 13Gb HDD, GeForce 2 MX-400, Sony 8x4x32.
The motherboard and the power box were the items I managed to blow up... :D
Going to use this computer temporarily until I get enough money to buy a beast of a system! ;)

BTW, thanks for the help Goatman!

Originally posted by Ant -|- One
Hard to tell...
The only thing I can tell you is read the manual first...
Then, if you make a mistake while plugging, your pc will not start at all, or reset will not respond,...
Trial and error is the best way to go ! But, on the whole, it has no real effect... I changed my mobo 3 times in 2 years and no prob in this matter !
Hope this helps you a little !

What's the new mobo ?

Yeh read the manual, confused me... :confused:
It's a Gigabyte GA-6VTXE-A Pentium 3 board. Thanks for the tips Ant -|- One.

red = pos
black = neg

reset switch really doesn't matter what wire is pos/neg.

Originally posted by Goatman
get it all runnin?

Yep, it is all good now, the system is up and running. However, my floppy drive's light stays on all the time, any ideas why?

Originally posted by Goatman
The cable is on backwords, flip it around (not the power cable)

Nah I'm pretty sure it's on the right way, because I was taught that the red line always faces the power plug. Any other ideas?

that is problem, some of the drives it doesn't face the power, flip the cable, u will see.

Goatman is right !
Some floppy drives do not follow the "established rule", the red line does not face the power plug ! Reverse the cable and it'll be ok ! Believe us ! The light will glow only on access and die the rest of the time !

Originally posted by XPos
red = pos
black = neg

reset switch really doesn't matter what wire is pos/neg.

red = pos, black = neg..... yea in a car to the battery maybe.......other than that colors change by where/what they are.

the speaker maybe red and black with red being positive, but others are green&white-power led, red&white-hdd led both colored wires should be pos but if it doesn't light flip it wont hurt anything. last two blue&white-reset switch and orange&white(some cases is also blue&white)-power switch, these two direction doesn't matter there is no pos/neg it just completing a loop.

and on the floppy, if light stays on cable is backward(or possibly bad,had that before), alot of floppy drives its upside down from what all the ide drives are. thats why theres an orientation pin(one pin missing/plugged) on all the cables, for the simple folk, the motherboard may have it but alot of the floppy drives still don't, its a legacy device i hardly even install in new computers anymore unless someone specificly asks for it.

Originally posted by spikemic

and ... the floppy, its a legacy device i hardly even install in new computers anymore unless someone specificly asks for it.

Strange to read this... the floppy's still needed for bios flash and such...

Thanks all for the great advice, been a big help.
Cheers! :D

P.S. The floppy disk tip worked! Thanks... didn't know that some floppies didn't follow the rule. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back