Installation of windows XP professional (licensed version) question!

• Thread starter body electric
  • Start date
B

body electric

Hello;
I'm an IT CNS adminstrator, and we just received a copy of "windows XP professional" license version which we can install on multi workstations here in our office, I run the win32.exe file in the i386 file folder on the CD it goes through the beginning of the installation on an upgrade of windows 98 2nd edition and right after the compatibility report you click next for it to copy the installation files to the hard drive it says it needs to reboot the computer. After it reboots and goes to the DOS prompt of windows xp professional setup and the windows xp splash window it goes to a blue screen and say's "please insert the windows xp professional cd in the cd-rom and press enter" well, the CD is in the CD-Rom and I press enter nothing happens. It has options F3 for Quit and Enter to continue. I eject the CD and reload it again and then click enter nothing. Anyone know what is wrong?

I had to abort the installation because it won't proceed any further than what I described.

help!
m.

Try coping the i386 folder (and all subfolders) to the hard drive and running the installation from there.

Yeah, I saw this same situation on a different post, I will do that!
thanks!
m.

I had a similar experience (or should I say xp-erience) last night doing a fresh install on my desktop at home. It seems that XP is very touchy about one's system during install. Things that have caused errors or completely halted my install include
A: Memory timing maxed out. I have had trouble installing when memory speed is set to turbo. This is showing that I am pushing my ram to its limit on speed I guess, but once XP is installed, it stays stable. Go figure...

B: Overclocked CPU. My PC runs just fine overclocked from 1ghz to 1.2ghz and stands up under all sorts of stress normally, but I cannot get XP to install when it is OC'd.

C: CD-Rom not master on its channel. (this one has gotten my twice before) For some reason, I will get several errors claiming files are missing or disk cannot be found when the CDRom I am installing from is not the Master on its channel. Last night I intalled from my CDRW drive (the mater) instead of my CD reader (the slave) and it failed three times. I got a succesful install complete from the CDRW. Then , out of curiosity, I tried swapping them master& slave and sure enough, the reader as master will complete install fine.

These all could be particular to my PC but I 'd thought I'd share in case any of these apply to your situation.

My pc is:

Athlon 1ghz (OC'd to 1.2ghz)
Abit KT7raid MB
1g of ram (1 512 and 2 256's)
WD 20g HD
Maxtor 40g HD
Generic 54X CD
Phillips 12X CDRW
etc etc.......

no, it's done this on several PC's in the office. There's another post regarding this same situation. I'm following up on an advice that Wrathchild gave me..hopefully this will work!

A word of advice, do not do upgrades of 98 on those machines. The best thing to do is to backup all the data files, boot to the XP CD, reformat the hard drives and do a clean install of XP, then reload all of the software and restore the data files. Doing this will save you alot of headaches in the long run. Also if they are older machines you may need to do a BIOS update before installing XP on them.

I had an XP install problem as well. I tried to install onto a clean HD, completly formatted, and after it would reboot it would think that it was still setting up the pre-reboot components. If i went to install again it woul warn em that there was an OS already, but it could not boot. The only way i got around it was to install WinMe (i installed compact so it took the lest time) then clean installed XP overtop.

Well, I just received a better windows XP CD-rom from my corporate office..and it's installing just fine.
thanks you guy's for the input!

I appreciate it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back