Installation BSOD

jimi_81

OSNN Senior Addict
Political Access
When vista "boots for the first time", i get a blue screen of death.
the computer quickly reboots, making it impossible to see what the error is.
When I go to "repair my computer" I get error details mentionning "externalmedia". i need to know a couple of things.. one being, how do i get the computer to not reboot on failure..

The install from the get go was ridiculously slow. I'm running an ASUS P4CP800-E Deluxe board, p4 3.2c, 1gb ram, ati 1600 pro vid.

It takes literally 4 minutes for the "Pick a Language" screen to come up. It then takes another 4 minutes to click next and then "install now". Another 4 minutes for the serial number input screen. It's just ridiculous. The dvd drive makes a ticking noise during the 4 minutes, and then speeds up and lights go on, and the thing works.. so why the delay?

The dvd is on a secondary channel, its an LG 4x... never had a problem with it. I ran all the pre-install "are you ready for vista" tools, and passed all with flying colours.

So after spending 300 bucks, i expect this thing to work the first time i put it in. I've never had a problem with any other windows operating system (except for ME).

Please help, I know that it's early on, but I've already found a similar post, on another site... the guy was using an ASUS board as well. I checked ASUS's website, there hasnt been a bios update since 2005...nothing new available.

When you say "boots for the first time," I'm guessing you mean that setup completed successfully.
Are you able to boot up in Safe Mode (hit F8 right after the initial BIOS POST before the Windows loading screen appears)?

Hey man,
no, the very first reboot after files are expanded and installed... once it restarts, i get a black screen, a flicker from the video card, and than blue screen/reboot.
safemode says the install isnt completed yet... please complete the install first.

well, i cant!!

That's strange..... This is a fresh install and not an upgrade isn't it? If a fresh install maybe reformatting your hard drive in another computer (just to get everything off of it) and then try installing Vista again would do the trick???

If it's an upgrade I haven't a clue where to start trying to fix that problem....

I've installed Vista Ultimate twice and had absolutely no problems either time. First time was on a drive that already had XP Home installed (not an upgrade install though) just to get computer running with Vista. Second time was on a new hard drive (oem version of Seagate's "Perpendicular" hard drive).

I'm getting the same thing. The install appeared to go smoothly and then on reboot a BSOD appears (too fast to read message) and the system reboots again. Tried using the repair tool on the Vista install disk...6 hours later it was still looking for an error to repair! The only plus is the roll-back feature that worked and restored my original XP...

When vista "boots for the first time", i get a blue screen of death.
the computer quickly reboots, making it impossible to see what the error is.
When I go to "repair my computer" I get error details mentionning "externalmedia". i need to know a couple of things.. one being, how do i get the computer to not reboot on failure..

The install from the get go was ridiculously slow. I'm running an ASUS P4CP800-E Deluxe board, p4 3.2c, 1gb ram, ati 1600 pro vid.

It takes literally 4 minutes for the "Pick a Language" screen to come up. It then takes another 4 minutes to click next and then "install now". Another 4 minutes for the serial number input screen. It's just ridiculous. The dvd drive makes a ticking noise during the 4 minutes, and then speeds up and lights go on, and the thing works.. so why the delay?

The dvd is on a secondary channel, its an LG 4x... never had a problem with it. I ran all the pre-install "are you ready for vista" tools, and passed all with flying colours.

So after spending 300 bucks, i expect this thing to work the first time i put it in. I've never had a problem with any other windows operating system (except for ME).

Please help, I know that it's early on, but I've already found a similar post, on another site... the guy was using an ASUS board as well. I checked ASUS's website, there hasnt been a bios update since 2005...nothing new available.

Ok.
I'm up and running.

The problem = outdated chipset information. I recently picked up an ATI1600 Pro video card. Luckly I still had a 9600xt lying around. I swapped cards, and re-installed.

The speed issues I was getting we're resolved after I pulled the cmos battery, and tweaking a DRAM setting in the bios.

The install took 15 minutes! Before the reset and tweak it took that long just to get to the cd-key screen!!

I just updated the chipset inf files, shut'r down, swapped in the 1600 pro, and it works perfectly. good bye blue screens.

good luck!

I've had the same problem with XP. You had something selected in BIOS that required advanced driver support which the built in Vista drivers could not handle. By pulling the battery you reset the Bios to defaults.

Nice to see they aren't introducing any new problems... :dead:

Also, make sure things like iPods aren't plugged in. ;-)

That could screw up the HDD detection - it's a pretty long shot though. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back