install XP on custom rig from Dell Restore CD

dubstar

format c:
the CD Key is not in use - to start things off.

My problem is that using the restore cd installs XP Home on a custom computer, but the key doesnt work.

I called Dell, they said call Microsoft.. I called Microsoft, they said to call Dell. I am thinking of just flat out lying and saying i am trying to reinstall on a dell machine but the serial is showing up wrong.

any suggestions?

-- this should work, right? you would assume its the wrong CD version and Serial combination - this happens a lot to me.

You won't be able to install a Dell CD on a non Dell machine.

Not sure how it checks or verifies, but if it isn't a Dell motherboard at least, it won't install.

You can use a Windows XP OEM CD to install on any computer under OEM license. It's just an installation disc which is customized for/by that OEM. However, you would be violating the EULA by using an OEM disc to install Windows on a computer that it was not purchased with. Furthermore, in some cases you will have to call Microsoft to activate the installation and tell them the details pertaining to your installation.

It's been awhile, but I have tried Dell discs before and it won't even start because of the fact it's not Dell Hardware.

That may have changed since the last time I tried, however.

And Matt - these aren't OEM discs, they are recovery discs.

You can use a Windows XP OEM CD to install on any computer under OEM license. It's just an installation disc which is customized for/by that OEM. However, you would be violating the EULA by using an OEM disc to install Windows on a computer that it was not purchased with. Furthermore, in some cases you will have to call Microsoft to activate the installation and tell them the details pertaining to your installation.

I bought an OEM version of PRO, and the verbage used said something to the effect of "must be purchased with hardware"

So I paid $75 for a mouse ;) and XP Pro came with it...

Derek, Dell doesn't have "restore discs" that have Windows on them (only drivers). They charge you an additional $8 to $10 for the actual Windows disc (Home = Purple, Professional = Blue) or install a restore option right on the hard drive.

mlakrid, that is perfectly fine. You are receiving hardware. However, OEM discs sold with a computer are for that computer and that computer only.

AFAIK with OEM software, at least from microsoft, the software becomes married to the motherboard of the first computer that it is installed on. So if you buy a mouse and get an oem windows with it then you can install in on any machine you like, and you can update any component you like except the motherboard. As soon as you install a microsoft OEM product on a upgraded or alternate motherboard you are technically in violation of the EULA, whether you bought the software at a store or it came with a pre-built.That being said if your using dell recovery disks to try and install windows onto a non-dell machine, I highly doubt it will work. Again AFAIK Dells do not come with recovery disks anymore but come with an OEM windows disk and a driver disk, in this case you will need to use the OEM key that came with your dell computer (SHould be a sticker on the side if desktop or bottom if laptop) along with the OEM disk since OEM discs will not Accept Retails keys or vice versa without a bit of tweaking. Again though by doing this you will violate the EULA

Yes dell disks are just plain xp disks slightly modified and will install, if when you get to the point where it wont activate.. then just call microsoft activation and they'll ask you if that key is installed on another pc, you'll say no they'll give you the key.

If it is a restore cd instead of an OEM Windows XP disk then it may be checking the bios signature.

ended up talking to another Microsoft rep. gave him the info, he asked if it was a dell. i told him its in a custom case right now (which it is), he had no problems accepting that answer. he gave me the acceptance code. no lying involved, just "less-information."

and for those who are curious, it's actually called "Re-installation CD," and it's maroon.

-- after further review of the CD, it does in fact display textual warning.
"Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell(tm) computer. This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers."

hm. do i go morally and uninstall or finish installing the updates and put this brick in my classroom for students to (inevitably) destroy . . .

I bought an OEM version of PRO, and the verbage used said something to the effect of "must be purchased with hardware"

So I paid $75 for a mouse ;) and XP Pro came with it...
LMAO. I paid $5 for an IDE cable when I got mine.

hm. do i go morally and uninstall or finish installing the updates and put this brick in my classroom for students to (inevitably) destroy . . .

If the original machine is dead, i.e. MB not in use, then there is no moral issue. There is the legal issue of violating the letter of the EULA. But if MS turns a blind eye to the common practice of selling software for half price just because you buy it with any piece of hardware, and has a rediculous 4x range pricing scheme that preys on the technical neophyte, screw them...

If the original PC is still in use with the original key installed then you are morally and legally corrupt. :p

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back