Install reports 15GB hdd as 2GB !

M

MrLip

I have tried this several times, several different ways.

I have 2 physical hard disks and want to install win98 & winxp as a dual-boot in this configuration:

Disk#1 15GB
partition #1 FAT32 4GB: win98
partition #2 NTFS 11GB: winxp
Disk#2 20GB
partition #1 FAT32 20GB: data

so this is what i tried:

With FDISK on disk#1 I created
part#1 PRImary DOS 4GB
part#2 Logical DOS 11GB

(Disk#2 is already setup)

I was planning on converting part#2 to NTFS later on.

Then I installed win98se onto C:
That went with no problems.

Then I tried to install winxp, but when I get to the part of setup where you select/edit the partitions, firstly, <b>setup reports my disk#1 as only 2xxxMB when it should be 15xxxMB.</b> Secondly, it <b>only shows C: (part#1.)</b> It doesn't see part#2 (which is the partition that I want to install onto) It sees disk#2 normally.

I've also tried not partitioning part#2, just leaving as empty space so that I can create a partition on it during winxp install. BUT the same thing occurs, the physical disk is reported as only 2GB and the empty space is no where to be seen.

Help!!

i strongly suggest that u use partitionmagic for all the dualboot stuff....its sooooo much better...i dont know why it doesnt recognize the hd as it is, but just a suggestion so you wont have any trouble...

Format your 11gig logical partition from windows 98 before your next xp installation attempt. I've seen this problem before and formatting the drive was the solution. Must be a glitch in XP's setup.

You didn't accidentaly create a FAT16 partition did you? They only come to 2048 MB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back