Install advice for XP Home edition (upgrade)

P

painbird

If one was to upgrade from windows 2000 pro to XP home edition (upgrade) how would you go about it. I realize that microsoft says that you cannot intall XP home ed (upgrade vers) from 2000 PRO. You would need XP home (full edition) to do that.

Was told that If you have win 2000 pro and buy the $99 version of XP home ed (upgrade version) that you can simply put in a windows 98 CD when the XP (home edition - upgrade version) setup tells you that you can't upgrade (wrong version). Once the 98 installtion CD is recognized then you are off to the races. Do you need the win 98 CD code #.

If I'm totally off base please let me know. Also please advise to how this could be done with the $99 version (XP home - upgrade) from win 2000 Pro. Keep in mind that reformating would be fine since important data has been backed up.

Thanks... :rolleyes:

Thanks...

make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from the CDROM before the hard drive, then boot from the XP disk.

it will ask you to insert a CD of the "upgradee" during the install process.

You can use the Win2000 CD for the upgrade. I did.
No, you do not need to kow the CDKey of the Win2000 or Win98 CD during the upgrade.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back