Install a 2nd HDD = Instant Lag From Hell?

G

GreenX

I need some major help here..

My current system is cmoposed of 2 WD 80's RAID'd into a nice 160G C: drive... NTFS

I later bought a 120G Maxtor to use as a abckup drive. FAT32.

I do what ive normally done in the past on other machines. I hookup the Maxtor to rhe secondary port on teh MB, set the jumper to Master and Im off to boot.

Reboot I see teh drive fine maxtor 120..

Windows XP starts to load and I see its taking 4x times as long now! I finally get into XP and view teh drive, no problems.. I can see it fine, no device conflicts etc.

I xfer around 200megs to the Maxtor and its reports it will take 10minutes! ugh! and on top of that I can do anything else or it horrible lags . so I couldnt even cancel the xfer so I hard reset.

Come back.. I start to mess some programs and notcie liek my DVD player Lags and studders on films (from teh HDD .vob files). and IE and otehr porograms have a little pause from laoding :(.

Im goning nutz here.. I pull ed teh drive and everything works liek butter from before! super fast xp loading and no problems whatsoever.

Any idea or help?

Firstly

its THE not TEH

Do you have a CD-ROM plugged into the same Ribbon as your new 120GB???

IF so you now have a 120GB HDD going at ATA33... Yummy

Change from FAT32 to NTFS. With such a humongous drive, FAT32 was not designed for it. (20GB & Above is not a FAT32 friendly size.)

Make sure that the 120GB is on its own ribbon by itself and that will give you optimum speed transfers. I have a feeling its FAT32 that screwing with you here.

i just noticed... do u have like a teh converter on or something... u even spelt other as otehr... yikes... stop typing teh mate... it gets annoying.

I type "..." far too much as well. Its a habit i need to get out of.

Yeah FAT32 is definately not recommended on such a large drive. Use NTFS.

Someone mentioned that I should check my DMA settings on the drive. I will format it to NTFS and see the results.

Sorry for mistyping teh instead of THE.. but its like a wierd thing when I type, its liek second nature or something... Ive always type it that way on accident I dont mean to :)

"its liek second nature" LOL, yeah I know what you mean, I get that sometimes too. :D

Sure, the DMA setting will have inpact. Make sure it runs at UDMA 5 or 6 (I think) and not PIO mode or something. Also do the cable check mbunny suggested.

DMA is correct and cable swapped had no effect.

I formated to NTFS and same bad lag.

Hers is a ASCII flowchart:

Soyo Dragon MB

Primary IDE
- Plextor CDR/W (m)
Secondary IDE
- Pioneer DVDR/W (m)
- Pioneer DVDRom (s)
HPT RAID Controller
- Primary IDE
-- WD 80.0 GB (m)
-- WD 80.0 GB (RAIDED and is my C: Boot, NTFS) (s)
- Secondary IDE
-- Maxtor 120 GB ATA133 Drive NTFS Formatted) (m)

I disconnect the maxtor and everyworks works super fast and perfect like before. Insert it back, BAM, major lag problems and performance hit everything I do...

I did the Maxtor Diag Re-Cali test, after 90mins it was error free.

Odd... Very odd...

I'm out of ideas, I'll get back to you if I come up with anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back