Inspiron 8600 Overclocking

jcim05

OSNN Junior Addict
I have a dell inspiron 8600 and the bios wont allow me to overclock the processor. I have a pentium m, and from what I understand they take the extra juice really well and tend not to overheat. Is there any other way to overclock the processor other than in the bios?

Unless there's an overclocking software that dell provides (which they do not). Then usually... No. So your bios is the only way.
Plus, I wouldn't advise it.

You don't overclcok laptops. They are not designed to survive it. That's why Dell locks out the bios options.

Actually laptops are designed to intentionally underclock themselves for battery life and thermal survival.

LeeJend said:
You don't overclcok laptops. They are not designed to survive it. That's why Dell locks out the bios options.

Actually laptops are designed to intentionally underclock themselves for battery life and thermal survival.
You just be glad you have a Pentium M... I have the Pentium 4-M 2.2Ghz and it is slower than any computer should ever be. it barely runs Win XP with 512mb RAM, and I mean barely. It has Speedstep technology, which normally makes it run at 645mhz or sometimes 1.5Ghz if you are lucky, but in most cases, it fears an overheat and slows to 645mhz. So basically, my $2,200 laptop is about as worthless as it gets. Centrino "technology" is wonderful.

GEN3RIC said:
You just be glad you have a Pentium M... I have the Pentium 4-M 2.2Ghz and it is slower than any computer should ever be. it barely runs Win XP with 512mb RAM, and I mean barely. It has Speedstep technology, which normally makes it run at 645mhz or sometimes 1.5Ghz if you are lucky, but in most cases, it fears an overheat and slows to 645mhz. So basically, my $2,200 laptop is about as worthless as it gets. Centrino "technology" is wonderful.

Yeah your laptop sucks! :smoker:

It's worth noting, you can't overclock a Dell desktop either. BIOS are locked.

NLM said:
Yeah your laptop sucks! :smoker:
Aint that the truth. Thankfully the one I am getting is at least a 1.8Ghz Pentium M, 1gb RAM, X600 128mb, 80gb HD. D810 is such an improvement over the 8500!

GEN3RIC said:
Aint that the truth. Thankfully the one I am getting is at least a 1.8Ghz Pentium M, 1gb RAM, X600 128mb, 80gb HD. D810 is such an improvement over the 8500!

I will do the testing on it. :nervous:

EDIT
you mean I get your old one?

madmatt said:
It's worth noting, you can't overclock a Dell desktop either. BIOS are locked.

Except for the XPS flagship d'tops. Or at least the last coupla models.

NLM said:
I will do the testing on it. :nervous:

EDIT
you mean I get your old one?
Ill sell it to you. Why should I give you anything when I originally paid money for it to be mine? Haha.

If I remember right, there were some dell laptops that had heat problems... You might want to update the bios or talk to dell about how your computer runs slow. Or disable the "Speedstep" feature. Since that is the reason why you're probably running slow for the most part. It's reducing your clockspeed. open up the machine and clean out your heatsink and fan.

Another question: Do you smoke?
Reason being, is if you smoke, your computers are more likely to slow down because of tar and dust buildup in the heatsink and fan, which causes major problems unless you replace those coated parts.

ShepsCrook said:
If I remember right, there were some dell laptops that had heat problems... You might want to update the bios or talk to dell about how your computer runs slow. Or disable the "Speedstep" feature. Since that is the reason why you're probably running slow for the most part. It's reducing your clockspeed. open up the machine and clean out your heatsink and fan.

Another question: Do you smoke?
Reason being, is if you smoke, your computers are more likely to slow down because of tar and dust buildup in the heatsink and fan, which causes major problems unless you replace those coated parts.
If you disable speedstep, it runs at 645mhz permanently ......... Sounds like they simply overclock a P3 :speechless:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back