inspiron 7000 dvd drive

M

melty

I just installed a clean copy of Windows XP on this Inspiron 7000...

There is a toshiba dvd drive, and it has an mpeg 2 decoder card.....

Whenever I put in a DVD disk, the light on the drive stays on, and the computer does not read the dvd.....

What can I do....I NEED to be able to watch DVD's in COLLEGE!!!

Please HELP!!!

melty

toshiba drives tend to fail alot and some just don't work with XP period. did u have xp on the computer b4 or did u upgrade from something else?

Windows 98 was on it before....
I dont know if the dvd drive was able to read dvd's before I installed XP.......

It just sux, i mean, everything seems alright, and it just cannot read a dvd movie....It reads CD's fine.....

I installed PowerDVD xp 4.0, and i know that has a software decoder, so its not the decoder....its just the drive....is there any firmware or new drivers for this dvd rom drive...

its a toshiba SD-C2102

melty

aspi

aspi any one? haha i think u need to install the aspi layers do a search for "aspi4all'' that should do the job i think since u formatted so i bet thats whats going wrong:happy:

look here for a region free firmware

It might help you.

Perform the firmware upgrade or alteration at your own risk, there is a possiblity of it rendering your drive un-useable.

Re: aspi

Originally posted by themafia_69
aspi any one? haha i think u need to install the aspi layers do a search for "aspi4all'' that should do the job i think since u formatted so i bet thats whats going wrong:happy:

DUDE, your absolutely right...

Before I read your comment, i tried looking for an ASPI driver, and I tried to install one, which went through DOS.....when it got the the dos, it said "click any key to continue", so thats what I did...

then, it disappeared.....

I popped in a DVD, the drive actually read it, but the icon for the movie was not the normal dvd video icon....

I played it in power DVD, and it worked fine......

then, heres the kicker......took out that DVD, put in another one, and now I have the same frikkin problem!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I'm gonna do what u said, and see what happens....

thanks

melty

How can you tell what firmware the drive has...???

melty

use the firmware utilities

take a look at this program download it and it should tell u all u need:happy:

btw there is a download on the same page for aspi version 4.60 whcih is the current one i think its right under that one
and i reccomend this website for firmwares
firmware-flash :happy: happy flashing

I just installed the Aspi4all......

it STILL does nOt read the DVD.....

what else is there????????

Should I re Install WIN XP, and then, just the ASPI4ALL???????

Because, I may have moved some wrong aspi files into the system32 folder....ands its probably a big mess.......

HELP!!!!

melty

so you were saying before, that since I had a clean install, this ASPI stuff is NOT included with Windows XP...

Thats So weird, its such an important thing to have..........

I am gonna make a new clean install of XP, and i will install the aspi4all.....and see what happens

Theres nothing valuble on this laptop, so I dont mind.....but i hope this works........

the reason why i feel that I should do this, is because I have been downloading stuff all day, and there is probably all the wrong system files and garbage all over the PC......

melty

restart

btw did u restart? u have to restart before the settings take effect so install it one more time and restart that should do it

yeah, i did restart...lol

melty'
thanks for yer help anywayz

Originally posted by melty
so you were saying before, that since I had a clean install, this ASPI stuff is NOT included with Windows XP...

Thats So weird, its such an important thing to have..........

MS didnt leave it out, its just not really needed for XP compatible software, it has a different method. I dont have ASPI installed on my PC, and I have no problems. Look at the Dell Tech support thing about upgrading to XP, see what they say.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back