Inspiron 5150

C

Cookie

Just wondering if anyone has this computer. I recieved one I bought last week. Its specs are below. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on it. Is the graphics card any good or have the experienced any problems etc... Thanks.

P4 mobile 3.06ghz
30Gb HD
64mb ATI Radeon mobility 9000
Dvd cd-rw
15 UXGA Screen
512mb 333mhz Ram
Windows XP Service pack 1

I'd say it's a pretty good price for the things that are in it. Today's games should run perfectly on it, even with all the options on!

You might not be able to run the fancy-pants shaders from Doom III or Half Life 2, but they will run smoothly on your computer when turned off.

The Mobility 9600 packs a much bigger punch and is upgradeable--the only problem is that laptops with them are scarce and expensive. They probably won't be in common use at least until Christmas.

Thanks HandyBuddy. Can the graphics card in the inspiron 5150 be upgraded to a newer model?

Unfortunately, the 5150's graphics aren't capable of upgrade:( The 9600 is the first user-ugradeable graphics chip ever, at least in recent memory.

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
The 9600 is the first user-ugradeable graphics chip ever, at least in recent memory.
really? they made it so you can remove the graphics adapter and replace it with another (say, future mobility 9800 :D) yourself?

It's a bit cryptic at this stage but you can check out the ATI "Flexfit" definition in the buzzword glossary. It basically states that similar mobile products will use the same drivers and same pin arrangement for future-proofing.

Finally someone is trying to change things! Laptop technology needs a serious overhaul. Laptop manufacturers honestly haven't changed much about their design in the last five years. I mean, the things still come with those impossible-to-use touchpads. Geez!

Laaaaazy...

Actually I think the touch pads are very easy to use. Although I've been using laptops for three years now. I just hate the push sticks but they've removed that from the 5150. Anyone else got anything to say about the 5150. I'm going to test the battery life while watching and not watching a dvd later today so I'll post the results here tomorrow.

If the 5150 has the same touchpad as the 5100 (Synaptics), you're going to love using it. It's got a whole bunch of great features like virtual scrolling, tap zones, etc. :D

I have one as well, just with a 60gb hard drive instead of 30. Nice laptop indeed. My only problem with it is there are no 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 resolutions.

I'm running my 5150 at 1600x1200 and I can run it at 1280x1024. What res can you run it at?

The 15" UXGA model runs at 1600x1200.
The 15" SXGA+ model runs at 1400 x 1050.

Just saw a posting on cnet that i agree with which was that the delete key is way to close (beside it in fact) to the left cursor key. I've come close to deleting a few important things but thank god for delete confirmation messages

Haha yes...the new keyboard layout can take a little while to get used to. ;)

this may sound like a silly question...but do they make laptop components so you can build you own? Like you can with desktops?

Originally posted by gballard
this may sound like a silly question...but do they make laptop components so you can build you own? Like you can with desktops?

Not that I've heard of.

The battery allowed me to watch the whole lord of the rings the fellowship of the rings on windvd 5 platinum and still had enough left in it to listen to 32 minutes of music on the hard drive before critical warnings started popping up. Without watching the dvd the battery lasted 3hrs 28 minutes just doing some general work on word, excel and powerpoint. Not bad at all. Anyone know what the pentium m and centrino battery lifes are like?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back