Inserting any USB Device completely freezes laptop!

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
I am trying to resolve this USB issue on a HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop. For some strange reason, everytime you insert ANY USB device into ANY USB Port, the computer will completely lock up. The only thing you can do is do a hard restart. What's even more funny is if you leave the device in the port while starting up the laptop, Windows will not boot. There are no error messages, it just locks up at the Windows black screen that shows the progress bar loading. I have taken a look in the device manager to see if there was anything strange in there, but there isn't. I have completely uninstalled the USB Root Hub from Device Manager while in Safe Mode, and then let Windows reinstall it in normal mode when I restarted. That did not resolve the issue. I have tested all 4 of the USB Ports (2 left, 1 right, 1 rear). Fails every time. The furthest I got once was the hardware installer icon by the clock one time, and I think that came up when I quickly inserted and removed the USB Device (presently testing it with a flash drive). Currently I am running sfc /scannow hoping that may find something, though I am not hopeful. Is there anything else that I can try to resolve this issue?

Edit: **NOTE** - sfc /scannow did NOT fix the issue. :(

Last edited:
Well I have a HP Pavilion Special Editin and never had a problem. Just as a thought, have you went to HP's website and did a driver check for your system? You might need an update with your drivers and its possible one of the updates could resolve usb issues. Hope that helps and if not, I can only hope others have a nice idea!

well to start i would delete all usb related out of device manager, hit the detect new hardware button and try again.

Well I have a HP Pavilion Special Editin and never had a problem. Just as a thought, have you went to HP's website and did a driver check for your system? You might need an update with your drivers and its possible one of the updates could resolve usb issues. Hope that helps and if not, I can only hope others have a nice idea!

You know I didn't do a driver check, I didn't notice that option on HP's website (thought I saw it previously though). I did bring up the related drivers to the laptop and did not see anything USB related. Also, I am unable to do a Windows update, after I click Express or Customize, it just fails.

GoNz0 said:
well to start i would delete all usb related out of device manager, hit the detect new hardware button and try again.

Tried that, though that failed.

The USB port provides 5V power to external devices. Get a flashlight and examine the USB port. The socket may be damaged or have a peice of metal in it and when you insert a USB device it shorts the power.

If you have a USB extender cable or camera adapter plug JUST the cable in with no device connected. If the laptop still locks up then you definitely have a defective USB port.

The other possibility is that your laptop power supply is right on the edge and the extra load from the USB device is overloading it. Unlikely since changes HD and optical drive operation would be more pwer than the USB port provides.

If you find a damaged USB port you could try get out any foreign material or straightening the pins yourself but a replacement is most likely needed. If you try and fix it yourself - PULL THE BATTERY FIRST!

The USB port provides 5V power to external devices. Get a flashlight and examine the USB port. The socket may be damaged or have a peice of metal in it and when you insert a USB device it shorts the power.

If you have a USB extender cable or camera adapter plug JUST the cable in with no device connected. If the laptop still locks up then you definitely have a defective USB port.

The other possibility is that your laptop power supply is right on the edge and the extra load from the USB device is overloading it. Unlikely since changes HD and optical drive operation would be more pwer than the USB port provides.

If you find a damaged USB port you could try get out any foreign material or straightening the pins yourself but a replacement is most likely needed. If you try and fix it yourself - PULL THE BATTERY FIRST!

Unfortunately LeeJend, this doesn't only occur on 1 USB port, it occurs on all 4 USB ports. I am very relunctant to think that there would be foreign metal objects in every single port.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back