Increasing AGP Aperture Size

I

isoacid

Is there any way to increase it without using bios, because my bios [awardbios] DOESNT have that feature in it. Is tehre any updates for that bios or any programs that I could use to increase the aperture size?? Thx

Originally posted by isoacid
Is there any way to increase it without using bios, because my bios [awardbios] DOESNT have that feature in it. Is tehre any updates for that bios or any programs that I could use to increase the aperture size?? Thx

This might seem a daft question, but what is the aperture? And what's to be gained from increasing its size?

Don't ask, don't learn.

are you sure your bios doesnt have an aperture setting or default...id be very surprised, unless your mobo is too old that it doesnt support an agp port?

certainly a bios upgrade is an answer...but go to the mobo website and get the details on the above first

The AGP aperture is an area of system RAM reserved for use by the AGP card for storing textures if it needs to. Since most video cards these days are 32Mb + this setting is not as important as it used to be.

It should be set to half your system RAM if possible, and if not it should be set at some point below or equal to the amount of RAM that you have.

wierd thing is i dont know who made my mobo, the manufacterer is blank, so is the model.

This is what it says

Manufacturer:
Model:
Version: N/A
BIOS Vendor: Award Software, Inc.
BIOS Version: ASUS - 42302e31
BIOS Release Date: 18/12/01
BIOS Properties: Plug and Play, Flash, AGP

oh yeah, i have a agp slot and my graphic card is a geforce 4 ti4200.

from what i understand changing the agp aperture size will allow more data to go into the agp adapter(video card). i have never tried to mess with my video card to much so i couldnt really help you on what to do about it.:)

I cant flash my bios cuz when I use aflash from asus it just exits right out after it loads up.

I cant flash my bios cuz when I use aflash from asus it just exits right out after it loads up.

thats cause you have to do it in dos. make a boot disk into dos and run it there

i've messed around with my agp aperature setting in the past and did benchmarks... in short, no setting made any noticeable difference with performance. period. i've read other people have the same experience so you might not want to waste your time. otherwise, have fun. }:>

Hmm well something is wrong with my computer. My geforce 4 will work fine, good fps while im looking at stuff that arent to graphical, but when I play like Counter-Strike itll work fine untill there are around 5 characters in my screen. The Fps will drop down to 40 untill I look another way where no one is at. Also my frames drop to 10 on 3dmarks 2001 SE monster truck game video on high detail.

Sony Vaio Rx650
Specs are:
1.6ghz
512 DDRam
80gb HD [ dont think that would matter ]

Have you checked if the AGP slot is set to 1x or 2x instead of 4x?

make sure you have the latest drivers, of course... video (www.nvidia.com), chipset (if applicable).

also, make sure v-sync is off. if it's on and it can't keep up with the monitor's refresh rate (60, 85, 100, etc), then it will drop to half the refresh rate (30, 42, 50, etc).

though you do have a geforce4 (mx 440, i'm assuming) and it should be more than enough to push 99 fps 100% of the time.

Originally posted by taurus
make sure you have the latest drivers, of course... video (www.nvidia.com), chipset (if applicable).

also, make sure v-sync is off. if it's on and it can't keep up with the monitor's refresh rate (60, 85, 100, etc), then it will drop to half the refresh rate (30, 42, 50, etc).

though you do have a geforce4 (mx 440, i'm assuming) and it should be more than enough to push 99 fps 100% of the time.

Actually, before you try any of that you should go and change the max % of the hard drive your recycle been is using up(right-click your bin icon, ckick on properties and slide the little bar over)... 15% sounds like a safe number...

wierd thing is i dont know who made my mobo, the manufacterer is blank, so is the model.

This is what it says

Manufacturer:
Model:
Version: N/A
BIOS Vendor: Award Software, Inc.
BIOS Version: ASUS - 42302e31
BIOS Release Date: 18/12/01
BIOS Properties: Plug and Play, Flash, AGP

Look in between the pci slots... The mobo model should be there !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back