Incorrect Driver for IDE Master Controller

C

Colinbar

Hi,
Sisoft benchmark for my Hard disk ( ATA100 7.2krpm 80gb NTFS) comes out at 12583, whereas a normal benchmark for this type of disk should be 29000. A 5.4krpm shold be 20000, so mine is very low.
I am using the latest version of SISIDE, but I have noticed in my registry that its using a Via driver instead of a SIS driver. Entry is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\(4D36E96A-E325-11CE-bfci-08002be10318)\0000
DriverDesc VIA bus master IDE controller
Infpath mshdc.inf
InfSection viaide_inst
Providername Microsoft

Plus other entries.
I have looked in the mshdc.inf file and I can see entries for sis drivers.
Would this VIA driver cause the low benchmark rate and if so any ideas how I can rectify this SAFELY.

PC Spec
P4 2.53ghz
MSI SIS648 mobo
MSI FX5600 Graphics
Win XP Home

it depends if its the system disk, and the fragmentation level & free space. so no its normal for the average pc.

Just for grins I benchmarked my WD 120 gig, 7200 rpm, w/8 meg cache on Sandra Pro. It came in at 33,000. Above the 120 gig HD levels shown. I benchmarked my system disk partition.
Most disks were showing scores of over 22000 in Sandra's comparison tables...

I'd uninstall the IDE drivers and reinstall off the SIS CD. Note this could cause data loss so back up first.

Other possibilities:
-You have a really small built in cache on your HD.
-Bios/HD is not running at UDMA and 100 speed.
-Your PC CPU is too slow to support the bandwidth.
-Your RAM is too slow SDRAM 100 vs DDR 266 or up.
-DMA is not enabled in bios and windows.
-Something is running in background tying up bandwidth (kill all processes before benchmarking).

Hi,

I have Norton's NIS & NAV running plus I had Cacheman running. I stopped the Cacheman and I got a lot better reading of 24901.

Other info:
Running at UDMA 5
DDR 512MB RAM
DMA is enabled.

So looks like I should forget about running Cacheman in future.
Still a little worried about the VIA driver selected instead of the SIS driver for the primary IDE controller. SISIDE appears to be running fine as UDMA IDE controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back