Inactive windows

DanC

OSNN Newbie
Hello all,

This is my first post here.

I was hoping I could get some help with an annoying problem I'm having; Every one to five minutes my active window (I think it happens in all my applications) suddenly becomes inactive which requires me to click on the screen to make it active again.

I have XP and regularly run my Earthlink spyware blocker, and Norton antivirus scans.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Dan

Yep, it sounds like something else is running regularly and taking over the focus... even if you can't see it. Can you take a screenshot of your Task Manager and post it here?

I must be doing something wrong as when I try to attach the file I get "error on page"

Here we go........persistence pays off..........I hope

Attachments

• screen shot 2.jpg
    screen shot 2.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 126
I can't read that, can you re-post with a better resolution?

EDIT: Try doing an ALT + Print Screen (takes active window only). This should put a better focus on your task manager.

Hopefully this is better........

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 95
Don't know why its a thumbnail, but if you click on it then make it regular size it is quite clear.

I can read it just fine. I'll look into some of those processes and get back.

Well I don't see anything threatening in your running processes, which is good, but that makes it a bit more difficult to identify the issue.

My suggestion is to run msconfig (start -> run - > msconfig) and to uncheck every startup process that is not necessary. Reboot and see if anything takes the focus off your active window. You'll probably know how much time to give it before you'd expect something to happen. If nothing happens during that time then you've probably disabled the process that causes it.

You can go back into msconfig and enable each process one-by-one, rebooting after enabling each one and taking time to check if the process causes the problem. It's a pretty lengthy troubleshooting process, but I guess it would be worth it to you. This is what I've got for now, maybe someone else has a better solution?

keep the task manager open on processes. Sort it by cpu. See if theres an application that pops to the top when it loses focus.

That's also a good suggestion, leedogg. I thought of it earlier but for some reason didn't mention it.

Thanks people,

I think I got it..........I took kcnychief's advice and downloaded Ms spyware Beta program. I already have Earthlink's spyware utility, but this is obviously more thorough and it appears it was a nasty little piece of spyware called "NewDotNet Browser Plug In" as it took two removals to get rid of it.

So far........no problems.

Thanks again all.

Dan

DanC said:
Thanks people,

I think I got it..........I took kcnychief's advice and downloaded Ms spyware Beta program. I already have Earthlink's spyware utility, but this is obviously more thorough and it appears it was a nasty little piece of spyware called "NewDotNet Browser Plug In" as it took two removals to get rid of it.

So far........no problems.

Thanks again all.

Dan

Glad you got it sorted out :)

From what I have seen, and I'm going to state my opinion here, MS Antispyware is the best and here is why:

First and foremost, it's free. I know that isn't a big deal to some, but the difference between say this and something like Lavasoft's Ad-Aware (another popular one), is that MS provides real time protection to your system, web browser, host files, etc.

Also, and the most impressive yet, is that it can remove real-time threats. Again, other programs give you the issue that they need to re-scan on reboot, or run in safe mode, but MS Anti-Spyware has the ability (if you let it) to kill the process, and remove it in real time.

Simply fantastic, #1 spyware program in my eyes, and will only get better. I think it's a great idea that Microsoft is putting it in Vista as part of the new security center.

Anyways, enough of my fanboy gushing, glad your PC is on the road to recovery :)

bah, again, IMO, that is a complete solution :)

Well, that in combination with quality AV, Windows Updates, and not being a moron ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back