in vista do not let system manage pagefile

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
ok, differant advice for vista then xp;

in vista, "system managed pagefile" means the system is going to delete the pagefile and recreate each time you boot, it's not going to be available until much later in the boot process.

unless you have some worries about someone stealing your hardrive to get access to data in your pagefile, you don't need this "security safeguard"

so the os creates the pagefile later on in the boot and programs like pd can't find a pagefile on bootime defrag because the pagefile isn't there yet

therefore, for vista, instead of system managed pagefile, use your amount of ram x 1.5 for the minumum, (up to 2 gigs, no need to exceed 2 gigs for initial minimum no matter how much memory you have unless the pagefile is expanding from your use, if it's expanding set the initial minimum to 25% more then the expanded size)

go to whatever you want for the maximum, I think there's a limit of 10 gigs but I don't know in vista.

whatever maximum you choose, the os only expands pagefile if needed, and then only expands in small pieces which are discarded on the next boot.

bottom line, system managed pagefile for vista is counter productive, set it manually with a reasonable initial minimum and a huge maximum

Last edited:
therefore, for vista, instead of system managed pagefile, use your amount of ram x 1.5 for the minumum, (up to 2 gigs, no need to exceed 2 gigs for initial minimum)

in xp it would make a min pagefile of 2gb in vista im sitting on 3.29GB, so if like me you have 3GB your saying have a min of 2gb and max of 6gb, as i was always told to use 2x ram, unless space was limited then use 1.5x, that sound about right ?

just checking that thats right :) , i had noticed a few times that PD said there was no active pagefile when i had it set to do an offline defrag, thought it was strange

just checking that thats right :) , i had noticed a few times that PD said there was no active pagefile when i had it set to do an offline defrag, thought it was strange
that's why pd couldn't find it, it was system managed

go into the applet and click custom size, set your initial minumum to what the system set it, set the maximum to whatever you want, and pd will have no trouble defragging the file

the first time pd defrags the file if your drive is full it will try to put at the most optimum spot, that might take a while, it won't take a any time at all after that because the file won't get fragmented once it's contiguous

therefore, after the first defrag I suggest excluding the pagefile for future boot time defrags

system had 3.29gb set - its saying it wants 4.5gb so i have it set now at 4.5gb and 6gb max, will reboot later and see whats what then :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back