In the market for a wireless router...

vivid_vibe

OSNN Senior Addict
Hello all,

My needs are simple at this point. I will want to share a cable modem connection with 2 PCs which will be hardwired to the router. I will need the wireless capability only for PSP gaming. I know from reading the threads that most people seem to prefer Linksys or D-Link (more rarely). I have been pricing some routers on Newegg and I'm a little overwhelmed as to features and capabilities. What should I be looking for exactly? I have taken note of the following two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16833320305

The second one seems to be more feature-laden, but I don't think Asus is known for their networking hardware (Are they?). Any help will be much appreciated (and repped naturally).

vivid

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Very nice choice, I'm confident you'll be happy with your choice.

There is decent documentation packaged with the router on how to setup security for your wireless network, which can also be launched by pushing the "Cisco Systems" button on the front of the router.

If you have questions, let us know :)

EDIT: If you plan on using WPA2, which you should, make sure you install this hotfix on the machines that are using it: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=662bb74d-e7c1-48d6-95ee-1459234f4483&displaylang=en&Hash=KTGNBT8

falconguard

Carbon based lifeform
Political User
I have had a problem with WPA on a doctors network, turns out the problem was with the notebook it needed updated drivers for WPA. Since than no porblems on his network, just the spyware he picks up pretty regularly :)

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
I got kicked ever 2hrs - ish. I think it was re-authenticating me, Trillian would say I've been diconnected...

I just fixed my router probem with MSN disconnects so I went back to WEP.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
falconguard said:
I have had a problem with WPA on a doctors network, turns out the problem was with the notebook it needed updated drivers for WPA. Since than no porblems on his network, just the spyware he picks up pretty regularly :)
WPA can cause problems if not properly updated on the driver side (client) and firmware side (router)

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
The drivers on my laptop are 1 version old since the new one introduced a new interface that I hate. The routers (2) are up to date on firmware.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Right, but don't you use Windows to manage your wireless connection, the Wireless Zero Configuration service?

I have had better luck with using Windows to manage wifi apps myself, vs the bundled software.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
just the disconnection every 2hours. I think it's re-authenticating and for some reason trillian disconnects. I set the group renewal key to max.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
kcnychief said:
Ah, thought it may have been something to do with wifi authentication to your DC pre-logon.
If by DC you're referring to Domain Controller then thats incorrect. I don't have a domain setup. Just a simple peer-to-peer, nothing fancy.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut