in the market for a hard drive

C

cky

im debating between western digital,seagate and maxtor.

im looking for the most quiet hd. what do you guys recommend?

btw im lookin for 60-80gb with 8mb cache:cool:

I would reccomend the 80 GB Western Digital model...WD800JB..have seen it in action and it is quiet also not many around with 8mb buffers under 100gig(well most i see are the 120gig upward drives)Quote from a review i found "While we couldn't even hear the Barracuda drive with our ears next to it" also link here >Click

If you want silent, go for Seagate. Their new Barracuda V is supposed dead silent. I just ordered one (20 mins ago). Don't think they have 8MB chaches though. Second choice is WD since they do. I have a 120GB WD SE and it was very quiet. Now it's whining and I'm having it replaced.

The new Barracuda drive, looks different and infact, is dead silent and fast.

I'v been running it for a week nonstop, heavy duty burn in for a friend, nothing. Not hot, didn't crash, opens files easily.

My ex's WD 120GB drive 8mb buffer died last night. Again.

I've been running Western Digital for years (ever since the days of Windows 3.1 and 486 computers), and have never had problems with them, unlike other manufacturers that had compatibility conflicts. Of course, the conflicts may have been fixed years ago, but I guess, in terms of hard drives, WD has my brand loyalty.

Melon

western digital is the best by far. (of course this is all our past experiences with them)

I use Western Digital and have no complaints. I will say though, the other brands are good as well.

Originally posted by Nick M
The new Barracuda drive, looks different and infact, is dead silent and fast.
Looks different? That scares me... ;)

Oh, btw, it turns out Seagate has 8MB cache Barracuda V:s. Both ATA and SATA disks.

Zedric it's in a antistatic protection thinger encasement...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back