Improve web page coding

First, good thing you said something on the page about loading time or I might have closed the window...lemme see if it has loaded yet.....yep ;)

Second, nice selection of freeware listed. :cool:

Only thing I would do is try to organize things in a smaller package somehow.

The link for the "Don't Touch My Computer 2 / Keepout" screensaver is wrong.

The link certainly works. You must be looking at an outdated copy of my site as I've dropped Keepout from the title.
Could someone help me choose which Doctype I should use.
http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/doctype.html
I'm confused.
Unfortunately I have to leave the optimized for IE as the site has transitions that only works with IE and picture placements look best in IE as is usually the case.
I've had comments that my coding is shocking. I'm not sure if this is true or the guys are just trying to have a go at a freeware fan. As long as my webpage is viewable without error by the average viewer who doesn't sniff around at the code I don't mind the odd superficial error.
I suspect that freeservers loads its banner adverts before loading anything else causing the delay. All my other pages are hosted on my ISP server and don't have this problem. Unfortunately I would lose too much traffic if I changed out from freeservers and freeservers has webdesign features that no other free server provides.

sites should always be made for 800x600 users...im on 1280x1024 and these images and fonts still look big to me

also, if you ever feel like overhauling ur site - id reccomend the standard site layout using tables eek: Your current layout is very disorganized which means the viewer has to put forth more effort to get the info they want...always assume that the people viewing your site are extremely lazy.

here's a pic of what I mean by "Standard Site Layout" using tables (and never, under any circumstances using frames)

I don't agree to optimizing for 800x600. 14" and even 15" monitors were phased out a long time ago. I've already decreased the fonts and thought this was quite viewable. If I decreased the font size any more it would lose the Comic Sans feel which is he theme I've used for the entire site.
Converting to SSL will take a massive amount of effort. I don't have time for that now but will consider for future site overhaul.
Thanks for your advice. :)

But the images should definitely be reduced in size. Viewing it in 800x600 could cause horizontal scrolling, which is what you should be trying to avoid. As for 14" monitors being phased out, that may be (sort of) true for desktops, but certainly not for laptops. Besides, the physical dimensions of a monitor doesn't always dictate what screen resolution people use.

OK - I've changed my monitor resolution to 800x600 and the button images and text both fit nicely into the screen. The images are and have always been 767x54 pixels in size so I don't understand the problem people are supposedly having with fitting the page into 800x600. At 1027x768 which is the standard for desktops and notebooks these days (a vast number of people would be using this resolution or higher and the site is optimized for this majority), no horizontal scrolling is necessary.

Actually, now that I look at it a second time, they're not as bad as I originally thought. But you may still want to shrink them down a little.

OK - here's the code:
<CENTER><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS" SIZE="3" COLOR="#000000">
3 is the current size which people say is too big and 2 is too small. Dilemma.:D

my feedback:

rather than the coder side i'm looking @ the consumer side.

1) the layout here:
http://www.ntfs.org/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=379126

is a very good standard screen layout. on the main page i would have links for the section such as apperaence etc on the left, logo/home link @ top and rest in the middle.

2) buy an address with website fowarding so that the entire site is on something like www.decentdownloads.co.uk it will only cost you about £3 a year from www.ukreg.com who will do all you need ;)

3) when looking Here i very much like the lower part of the page + it's layout, but the top of the page needs work so that all of the program links when clicked scrolls down to the program rather than having to manuly scroll down to a selection.

hope my feedback is off some use :cool:

Center = bad
Font = bad
Comic sans = bad, but personal choice :p
size by number rather than px = bad
color = bad
upper case tags = bad

Originally posted by Henyman
my feedback:

3) when looking Here i very much like the lower part of the page + it's layout, but the top of the page needs work so that all of the program links when clicked scrolls down to the program rather than having to manuly scroll down to a selection.

hope my feedback is off some use :cool:

How do I code this?

SPeedY_B I like colour and font type. How do I size font by pixels and what pixel size should I use? Left alinment text gives weird result.

I mean the tag, not the alignment. ;)

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;text-align:center;color:black;">blah blah blah blah</span>

Best place to learn HTML is here: http://www.w3schools.com/

the ever dreaded tables my friend...here is a helpfull site to getting accustumed to this powerfull element of HTML (ya, its a kids site...but damned good at teaching HTML)

http://www.lissaexplains.com/tables.shtml

These can get frustrating at times, but once you master complex tables your layouts will look very neat and tidy

I would also make all the referance sites on the front page hot, instead of having to load a second page when you allready know what you want to look at

and you really should have kerio and sygate firewalls in your internet programs

btw, I'm very happy you removed incredimail from that page too..

artistically, I like the original ideas and layouts, but if that's what's slowing the page down, follow the advice to fix it

I always like the idea of validated code. You need to start with a declaration though, what type of code you're writing in, ie html 4.0, 4.1, xhtml, whatever. Make sure you close all your tags too, even the simple p or img tags. Not only is that a step in validating, it'll also make it easy to switch over to CSS.

Which bring us to point number 2. Center or font tags aren't terrible, but they're not the best you can do. Your page already has a very logical setup and is nicely grouped. All the pages follow the same basic structure. CSS should cut down on the size of the pages dramatically, which is always good. It's worth learning anyway, and makes pages a lot more flexible.

A few little things too, like always declare more than one font, just in case the first one isn't supported. Placing the logos to the left of the description instead of above will cut down on the height of the page, and you might even want to use links within the pages to avoid scrolling. You already have the names of all the programs at the top of the category, so why not use 'em.

Learning compliant code is the best thing you could do for yourself. Visit the site speedy posted, it's where I learned my code. It will make sure that your page looks the same in all browsers(in theory), your pages will load faster and will have a smaller file size. It will just make your life a lot easier if you learn complaint code.

http://w3schools.com

If you do not host any of the programs yourself, id be willing to host the site on a fast server for you.

Few things, its slow, hence the above, comic sans MS is not available on my system, and makes the text look all weird, and some characters are missing. Compliant HTML/XHTML :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back