Impossible to Upgrade Memory on my Computer?

S

Squibbles

I'm trying to upgrade the memory on my computer. Currently it has 128 MB RAM. I tried adding 256 MB to increase it to 384 MB RAM, but it didn't work. Nothing happened. The computer couldn't recognize the RAM, and my computer remained at 128 MB.

I was installing K-Byte Memory. I know it's not the memory's fault, because I bought it from Best Buy and Office Max; Neither Worked. Also, I know it's not my slots' fault, because I switched my current memory to the second slot, and it worked fine, but no matter which slot I put the new memory in, the computer won't recognize it.

My Computer:
Compaq Presario 5000US
1.0 GHz
128 MB RAM
40 GB HD [Upgraded to 160 GB]

I puchased K-Byte 256 MB SDRAM for Computers with Bus Speeds of 133 Mhz.

Any suggestions?

I really want to speed up my computer.

Thanks!

I think the memory you have now is PC100.

I was installing K-Byte Memory. I know it's not the memory's fault, because I bought it from Best Buy and Office Max; Neither Worked. Also, I know it's not my slots' fault, because I switched my current memory to the second slot, and it worked fine, but no matter which slot I put the new memory in, the computer won't recognize it.

Well 3 problems could be causing this. Either the ram stick are 2 different speeds ie pc100 and pc133 and the new isnt clocking down. Or it is fried, you touch it and you can fry it. Have you tried to put the new ram in alone without the other stick. and also you can have a motherboard that dosent support it and or you might have to enable it in the bios along with turning on the bank that the ram is in...

Thanks for the replies.

Yep, it was a speed problem. My computer is running PC100 RAM.

Anyone know where I can get 256 MB RAM running at 100 MHz?

Thanks.

I would stick with the faster RAM.. the extra 128 wouldnt matter much and its better to do 256 anyway. Give it away or built a cheap system and use the 128 for that

pc133 doesn't have a problem running at pc100 speed. don't try to return your pc133 for pc100... you'll get weird looks. that's why it's so hard to find pc100 memory anymore. pc133 does the same thing.

what happens when you take out your old memory and put in the new? anything then?

They are telling me at the local outlets that PC133 is not backward compatible anymore... ?????

:eek:

I tried switching the two modules. I put the new memory into the used slot, and removed the old memory. But the computer still couldn't recognize the memory.

No matter how I configure it, the computer just won't recognize it. I've tried updating the BIOs also, to no avail.

I'm pretty much forced to buy PC100 RAM.

I would take the RAM back... it seems like its fried

Nope he is right, I tried the same thing to my hp, I have PC100 and I tried 133 and no luck, theres no way to change the bios or anything, which sucks because PC100 cost a s**t load. I would try checking around the net for prices. My friend had the same problem as well and he found some 256 chips for around $60.

B.

Originally posted by PseudoKiller
I would take the RAM back... it seems like its fried

I agree. Seems like RAM is fuxored

also, some motherboards just simply don't like certain brands of memory. mobo manufacturer websites will sometimes list compatible brands.

I don't think it is a speed issue since almost all the PC133 ram out in the market these days are backwards compatible with PC100. As long as you use it alone and not mix the two together. When you said that you found the problem to be the speed difference in the modules did you actually get the 133 to work by itself or did you just compared the two memory modules and found out one says pc100 and the other says pc133 therefore assuming that the problem is the speed difference?
I have seen alot of compaq and HP computers that will not support more than 128MB of ram per slot. And I believe that is the problem you are having. just switch the 256MB you have with a 128MB, and you shall see that it works.

Good luck :)

I have not gotten the PC133 Memory to work at all, whether by itself or mixed with the PC100 Memory.

I had a HP notebook that only supported a max 128x2, so your mobo might only support a max 256mb. try installing another 128 module

Well, the manual said that I can support a max of 512 MB.

So I don't think that's the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back