Importing Hardware from U.S. to Canada?

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
I believe there's a few Canadians here, so I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with this question. I've noticed just looking at Newegg.com and Newegg.ca that the prices (and, in some case, selection) are quite substantially different. If I were to buy the hardware in the U.S., does anyone know what kind of taxes/duty/anything else I need to do that I should expect bringing it into Canada? And are there any instances where certain items are prohibited from being imported? FYI, I would ship it to my parents in the U.S. and bring it back myself, so I won't be dealing with mail/shipping issues.

Well if you ship to your parents in the US, from the place you bought it to your parents you should be fine, normal US-Canadian funds exchange rate and that should be it.

Now your parents can then ship it to you stating that it's not worth very much, a couple dollars or something like that and you should not be charged any duty fees or anything like that, but only if they make it seem like it's not worth anything. That or if you get lucky and the person working the day your package comes through, they are in a good mood lol Yet you said you would bring it back yourself, I have never brought anything to or from the states, or anywhere else before. So I don't know about that.

tax fraud @ osnn - oh the shame!!! :p

Last edited:
Bull****. Canadian customs is a lot smarter than that. I used to ship used equipment of little dollar value to a buddy in Canada and they nailed him for import duties every time. The duties were a substantial percentage of the cost and varied by point of manufacture, type of hardware, etc. Used equipment did not drop the duties.

The standing trick back around 2000 was to wrap in birthday paper with a birthday card and claim it was a present. That did not work either.

And don't let relatives get caught trying to smuggle it in. The Mounties frown on that.

Bull****. Canadian customs is a lot smarter than that. I used to ship used equipment of little dollar value to a buddy in Canada and they nailed him for import duties every time. The duties were a substantial percentage of the cost and varied by point of manufacture, type of hardware, etc. Used equipment did not drop the duties.

The standing trick back around 2000 was to wrap in birthday paper with a birthday card and claim it was a present. That did not work either.

And don't let relatives get caught trying to smuggle it in. The Mounties frown on that.

That is a load, I get things from the US as presents, or written down all the time without issues. Once in awhile they charge duties for it anyways, but not as much as they could have.

Actually, I want to note that I have no desire to commit tax fraud. I'm quite happy to declare my purchases at the border and provide the receipts--but I just want to know what to expect. Do they assess GST or GST+PST? And would I expect to have to pay duty on computer parts? I'm just curious as to whether anyone would have insight on this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back