Important Notice: Intel Pentium 4 Retail

M

mbunny

For people who purchased Intel P4's retails (i mean the CPU and stockstandard HSF not a P4 system).

I work at a computer supplier/manufacturer and i was told about a HSF defect that Intel has with most of their stock heatsinks.

The "leverage" point can cause the black holding points of the frame to expand a little. Through movement and general vibrations, the HSF can become dislodged and thus endangering your CPU.

Its very easy to correct this defect though, hopefully the whitebox retailers will have done this for you but if you built your own system, just give the leverage a little squeeze and u may or may not feel the lever pop back into the frame depending on whether it was done for you or not.

This has been a public service announcement =)

Re: Intel Pentium 4 Retail

Posted by mbunny
For people who purchased Intel P4's retails (i mean the CPU and stockstandard HSF not a P4 system).

I work at a computer supplier/manufacturer and i was told about a HSF defect that Intel has with most of their stock heatsinks.

The "leverage" point can cause the black holding points of the frame to expand a little. Through movement and general vibrations, the HSF can become dislodged and thus endangering your CPU.

Its very easy to correct this defect though, hopefully the whitebox retailers will have done this for you but if you built your own system, just give the leverage a little squeeze and u may or may not feel the lever pop back into the frame depending on whether it was done for you or not.

This has been a public service announcement =)

if all it needs is a little pop I am more than glan to post to keep this thread among most current ones so anyone who might be affected can dbl check to make sure their investment is secure :)

good headups bunnyman..

:)

wouldn't want all u P4 ppl to have overheating CPU's now would we ;)

I can't believe this wasn't more publicized though... i didn't even know about it until i was told by my supervisor to give all the P4 heatsinks a little squeeze.

This picture was sourced from HardOCP (omg its so hard to find a picture of a P4 Stock heatsink) and then photoshopped by me (the red bits heh)

as u can see from the pics that my photoshop skills are l33t...

lol

p4squeeze.jpg

Just squeeze the points that i have indicated. You may or may not feel the leves pop into place.

Well need to get of my lazy back side and check both of mine plus get in touch with a friend to check theirs, now that I've got a better idea

Haven't checked mine yet but it might explain why that when I first got it the temp was 28c & now it is around 38c. :eek:

I checked mine & nothing popped so it must be OK, I hope. I'm using the ud cancer program so that probably explains the heat.

Just installed my P4 today, and I remembered this thread. I was suprised that it was true for some reason... but thanks once again!

I put a Swiftech product on my ol' P4 anyway. The original HSF will be donated to the charity of my choice. By the way, how about that new P4 3.06 GHz with HT. Both Windows XP Pro and Home are compatable with HT. Any input you AMD guys? Hee, hee, heeeee....

Wait for Hammer to destroy it... for half the price

Wait...? By then Prescott will destroy Hammer. Rock, Paper, Snippers anyone...?:D

The Hammer doing any damage is going to happen only if AMD can get the product to market and as of late they have had a bit of trouble doing that but time will tell what happens

Yea I heard they designed it for pc2100 ram and were having trouble getting it to work with faster ram.

Barton is on the way in a month or so, and it'll give Hyperthreading CPUs a run for their money. A 3200+ Barton on a nForce 2 board will do some serious performance.
Anything good is worth waiting for. It's $1000 CDN for a HT P4, that's a little expensive.... and considering a chip running at a clock speed that is alot slower, and a memory bus that is alot smaller can still out perform it's equivalent P4. and for a cheaper price... not bad, not bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back