important about "new posts"

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
guys, I'm positive the reason I came here more often then tweak in the first place, is the new posts feature at tweak is worthless.

that's the most important feature of a widely used board.

of cource the search in general is not expendable...but I wanted you to know the view new posts is probably the second most important feature, if it's not the first most important

Don't worry Dealer, I have just spent the past 2 hours seeing what effect the search feature has on the forums and it seems to be negligable so I am pretty sure it will be re-enabled as soon as waddy reads my "test result" email..

I would enable it myself, but it was waddy that disabled it... so I will let him have the final decision. You will just have to do some good old fashioned surfing for the evening.

thanks for the response ep...something to mention to wadd tho

heard the expression "you have to sometimes take a step back, in order to go two steps forward?

that's the case with view new posts.

the is a net fewer calls to the server, as I or the regulars never have to jump from category to category in order to see what's going on.

on the other hand, I guess we should all try to come up with our ideas for reducing the calls to the server, and maybe we can help.

I hate to say this, and I know you'll probably shoot me for this...especially since it was my first spaceship gif (yes, I'm to blame)sig that started the animated gifs in the first place.

BUT

if the gifs are a call to the server, that's probably the best place to save traffic.

I'm suggesting limiting gifs to those that have a certain amount of posts...say 500.

maybe you should limit animated avatars to the moderators also.

I know these are big attractions to this site, but with a little moderation (hehe)...we can make the use of them significantly less, yet still keep the attraction

this is of course assuming the gifs are part of the problem...I wouldn't know either way

Well what I understood from waddy is that the bandwidth is not linked to the server load, I think all it would check in the database is the name/location of the avatar... tho with the downloads turned off teh site load has gone down.. Perhaps it is conincidence or the way the anti-leech script.. we are not sure yet.. Search will be re-enabled..

Sorting out the avatars in such a way would be pretty cool, there are several lines of thought you could engage but it would involve finding appropriate vbulletin hacks.

I never use the Show New Posts. I've always manually browsed :D

JJB6486

since I've become a moderator, show new posts is my home page.

I don't even have a boaad page, I have spycam, I haver tips and tweaks, and I have a shortcut right to the last post on the my favorite tweaks thread.

ep...try spycam...alot of fun

I'm thinking if you could put the nimber of posts on the spycam topics, I won't need view new posts.

spycam

/me used to use it quite a lot.. .as well as yer spycam ;)

still use it often here... but tend to browse a lot now...

MdSalih

Veiw new posts... Well just use the link below my sig. :D :p

thank goodness

as I said ep, search might look like it brings a lot of calls to the server, but for every new posts I hit, it saves me at least five other hits that I'd have to make.

this is hard to monitor in this case, isn't it.

Sorry, ,I had to disable it again -this is all temporary.. something must be exploting the site and we have to find out how and why!

maybe you should make the announcement on the main board...keep everybody up to speed, and interested in what's going on

might do it later, this is really depressing me :( don't feel motivated anymore...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back