import csv file into outlook

DanaWriter

OSNN Newbie
Folks,

I've exported my address book from Thunderbird to a CSV file. I am trying to import it to Outlook XP, but I get to the "Import a File" dialog and the "Map Custom Fields..." button is grayed out. The "Next >" button is also grayed out. Any ideas why and how to work around it?

Dana

thread moved and title changed

Yes.

• Select File | Import and Export... from the menu in Outlook.
  • Make sure Import from another program or file is highlighted.
  • Click Next >.
  • Now make sure Comma Separated Values (Windows) is selected.
  • Click Next >.
  • Use the Browse ... button the select the desired file.
  • Typically, choose Do not import duplicate items.
  • Click Next >.
  • Select the Outlook folder you want to import the contacts to. This will usually be your Contacts folder.
  • Click Next >.
  • Click Map Custom Fields ....
This is as far as I get. The "Map Custom Fields ...." button is grayed out and so is the "Next >" button. I never get to these next steps.:cry:

• Make sure all columns from the CSV file are mapped to the desired Outlook address book fields.
    • You can create new mappings by dragging the column title to the desired field.
    • Any previous mapping of the same column will be replaced with the new.
  • Click OK.
  • Now click Finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have not opened/saved the CSV file in any other program (like windows or excel). They can add characters that will make the file non CSV compatible.

Now that I said that... Make a copy of fresh CSV export and open it as a csv from excel or word and see if they will accept it. If they don't then the export file is bad.

I have imported into outlook many times using csvso it should work.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back