Imminent PSU death?

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Yo.
Lately, my computer - at POST - has been either sounding a "siren" sort of alarm, or an error message screens stating I haven't connected a molex plug to my 9800pro (and it has already been plugged in). I get these errors occasional, and by turning off the computer and turning it back on a few minutes later, the problem is fixed temporally. It is getting rather annoying, and I am guessing it is a PSU problem. Is this a sign of a pending PSU replacement or something else?

sounds like maybe your PSU isn't putting out a enough juice for your rig on bootup. your machine takes more juice on bootup usally then when running so might be just getting past the post that is pushing it past its output limits.

*Edit* - running a good rig there i notice in your sig .. what brand/rating is your PSU?

Xie said:
...running a good rig there i notice in your sig .. what brand/rating is your PSU?

Unfortunately, a cheapish generic "Omni" 400W PSU that came with the case. :p

sounds like you might have a dying PSU, try switching around which lead is plugged into your card (is it on the same line that your HDD uses?)

if that makes no difference, it may be time to get a beefier PSU... I recommend Antec, or PC Power and Cooling (which ever one you can afford) PC power being the best, and Antec being more affordable, but still top notch

Goatman said:
sounds like you might have a dying PSU, try switching around which lead is plugged into your card (is it on the same line that your HDD uses?)...

I'll try that tonight, and yes, I'm fairly sure that it's the same lead the HDD uses.

Aside from that... if I am to replace the PSU, I don't want to go spending too much. So anyone recommend an extremely cheap, yet good quality 400w+ PSU. Thanks. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back