Imminent PSU death?

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Yo.
Lately, my computer - at POST - has been either sounding a "siren" sort of alarm, or an error message screens stating I haven't connected a molex plug to my 9800pro (and it has already been plugged in). I get these errors occasional, and by turning off the computer and turning it back on a few minutes later, the problem is fixed temporally. It is getting rather annoying, and I am guessing it is a PSU problem. Is this a sign of a pending PSU replacement or something else?

Xie

- geek -
sounds like maybe your PSU isn't putting out a enough juice for your rig on bootup. your machine takes more juice on bootup usally then when running so might be just getting past the post that is pushing it past its output limits.

*Edit* - running a good rig there i notice in your sig .. what brand/rating is your PSU?

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Xie said:
...running a good rig there i notice in your sig .. what brand/rating is your PSU?
Unfortunately, a cheapish generic "Omni" 400W PSU that came with the case. :p

Goatman

Ska Daddy
sounds like you might have a dying PSU, try switching around which lead is plugged into your card (is it on the same line that your HDD uses?)

if that makes no difference, it may be time to get a beefier PSU... I recommend Antec, or PC Power and Cooling (which ever one you can afford) PC power being the best, and Antec being more affordable, but still top notch

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Goatman said:
sounds like you might have a dying PSU, try switching around which lead is plugged into your card (is it on the same line that your HDD uses?)...
I'll try that tonight, and yes, I'm fairly sure that it's the same lead the HDD uses.

Aside from that... if I am to replace the PSU, I don't want to go spending too much. So anyone recommend an extremely cheap, yet good quality 400w+ PSU. Thanks. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samhicks